Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2005/10/26 19:59:55 UTC

licensing issue

There's a piece of code floating around on the internet as part of the
Lucene project. It isn't formally checked into Lucene but the author
says, via email, that he freely gave it away. Does anyone have an
opinion about the legal status of this code? Can it be incorporated into
an apache open source effort?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: licensing issue

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Do you have the name of this piece of code by any chance? ;) if the author
gave it away, shouldn't the copyright notice of Lucene's licensing statement
be in the source files of that piece as well? (assuming Lucene has such a
thing in the source files or not?) - just wondering...

Re: licensing issue

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Jean and Francois,
>
> Thanks for your responses. Francois, the name of the class is
> SQLDirectory; I have a copy of this code and it doesn't contain a
> copyright notice.

How is it "floating around the internet"? If it's in an ASF mailing list
then I think it's ok.

Dan.

Re: licensing issue

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Jean and Francois,
>
> Thanks for your responses. Francois, the name of the class is
> SQLDirectory; I have a copy of this code and it doesn't contain a
> copyright notice.
>
> Jean, thanks for your suggestion. I don't know why the code isn't
> checked into the Lucene sandbox; I think the code is a little raw; maybe
> the sandbox didn't exist when this class first appeared. I will follow
> up with legal-discuss.

I'd suggest first nailing down the Lucene story.

If it turns out Lucene doesn't want to check that file in for whatever
reason and derby-dev decides it wants to add it to Derby's repo, we
could then pursue the legal fine points. According to
http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html, legal-discuss is
only open to committers, though the mail archives are available to all.
And from what I gather from other list traffic, they'd like us to
resolve any questions first on our PMC, if possible.

  -jean

Re: licensing issue

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jean and Francois,

Thanks for your responses. Francois, the name of the class is
SQLDirectory; I have a copy of this code and it doesn't contain a
copyright notice.

Jean, thanks for your suggestion. I don't know why the code isn't
checked into the Lucene sandbox; I think the code is a little raw; maybe
the sandbox didn't exist when this class first appeared. I will follow
up with legal-discuss.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: licensing issue

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Alas, I am estopped forthwith. It turns out that only committers and
> their designated legal amanuenses may petition legal-discuss@apache.org.
>
> Jean, as a committer, could you approach this mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Would it be possible to first nail down the Lucene story? Why they
haven't included it?  Technical issues? Legal issues?  :-)

  -jean

Re: licensing issue

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: licensing issue

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> There's a piece of code floating around on the internet as part of the
> Lucene project. It isn't formally checked into Lucene but the author
> says, via email, that he freely gave it away. Does anyone have an
> opinion about the legal status of this code? Can it be incorporated into
> an apache open source effort?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

 From Derby incubator days .... if the author of that file is willing to