Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org> on 2007/07/27 13:25:23 UTC

Company model : concrete classes and use of "field-type"

Hi,

I just looked through the company model and noted that the concrete classes
now have some fields marked with "field-type" in the XML (e.g
Company.address). Why? The field has its own type so there is no need to
specify that. It is typically for use where a field is an interface and so to
define the implementation(s) that the field will accept. Is there a reason
for specifying it ?

--
Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)

Re: Company model : concrete classes and use of "field-type"

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Done.

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. You are welcome to commit these changes yourself...

On Jul 27, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>> Looking briefly, it looks like the only cases are for the embedded
>> Address field. Is this what you are referring to?
>
> That's the one I spotted and didn't look further.
>

> PS. "api2" seems to be missing a couple of files being checked in
> for a
> working build
> test/java/javax/jdo/annotations/TestEmbeddedSet.java
> test/java/javax/jdo/annotations/TestEmbeddedMap.java
> - change the "embedded" to "embeddedMapping".
>

> --
> Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Company model : concrete classes and use of "field-type"

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

On Jul 27, 2007, at 9:10 AM, Michael Bouschen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Michelle volunteered to take a look.

Thanks for that.

> I think setting the field-type is not necessary, because the
> declared Java type is Address, a PC class and not an interface. It
> is ok to specify the field-type, but it might be confusing since it
> is not necessary. So I propose to remove it.

I agree that field-type for Address fields is unnecessary and should
be removed.

Craig

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Craig,

Michelle volunteered to take a look. I think setting the field-type is

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Andy,

On Jul 27, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just looked through the company model and noted that the concrete
> classes
> now have some fields marked with "field-type" in the XML (e.g
> Company.address). Why? The field has its own type so there is no
> need to
> specify that. It is typically for use where a field is an interface
> and so to
> define the implementation(s) that the field will accept. Is there a
> reason
> for specifying it ?

Not that I know of.