Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/07 15:50:32 UTC

Copyright dates

All,
I've recently noticed a number of files being modified and even added with
incorrect years in the Copyright/License prologue. It's an easy mistake to
make. I'm probably guilty of submitting patches that did not appropriately
update the copyright year.

Is there an official policy for Copyright year? How rigorous are we expected
to be? ASF must have a policy and I'm confident that we're not complying...
Do we need a plan to (attempt to) rectify these oversights prior to V1?

--kevan

Re: Copyright dates

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Copyright dates

Posted by Kresten Krab Thorup <kr...@trifork.com>.
On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>> Is there an official policy for Copyright year? How rigorous are we
>> expected to be? ASF must have a policy and I'm confident that
>> we're not
>> complying... Do we need a plan to (attempt to) rectify these
>> oversights
>> prior to V1?
>
> The copyright year should be the year the work was created.
> Sometimes you see ranges of years, but AFAIK that's essentially
> meaningless at the legal level, and only informative at the
> human level.

So how should this be handled?  In software-world "works" are things
that end up being modified quite often.  In this context, which is
the correct year of creation - when it was originally initiated/
conceived (first set of curly-braces written in a .java file), or
when it was last modified?  Or perhaps when it was last modified
substantially?

Kresten

Re: Copyright dates

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.