Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/10 07:40:41 UTC

Does someone want to maintain the TsFile Golang version

Hi,

Last year... someone (as far as I know, from Lenovo) proposed a Tsfile
read/write API implementation with GoLang[1].

The file format is consistent with v0.8.0, but we have upgraded to v0.11
(the file format is the same with 0.10, version 000002).

Does someone want to maintain this PR?
The new TsFile format is here [2].

[1] https://github.com/apache/iotdb/pull/124
[2] https://iotdb.apache.org/SystemDesign/TsFile/Format.html

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Re: Does someone want to maintain the TsFile Golang version

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi  Xiangdong,
I was looking for cutting work instead of creating more work. It is true
that it's no zero cost abstraction.
The question is here: Does it make sense having a well-known serialization
format for avoiding *to write a parser*?
Here is the list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_data-serialization_formats
Is there any of those format, that will fit to TsFile ideas and design?
If not, i am fine, i will help with Go and C++.

Best Regards,
Giorgio.

Re: Does someone want to maintain the TsFile Golang version

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giorgio,

If just IDL (Interface description language), then we still implement these
interfaces using different languages.

I do not think protobuf works. It can describe the format of TsFile, but
using protobuf to serialize data maybe not a good idea,
as we then are hard to know the meaning of each byte.

Besides, I am not sure protobuf can provide the best compression.

e.g., the first 12 bytes are magic string + version. If using protobuf, how
to constrain that?

Maybe many fields will have to be defined as bytes (define them as string
will waste space as we know the length of the string).

But maybe we can do some experiments.

Best,
-----------------------------------

Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com> 于2020年10月11日周日 下午4:19写道:

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi Chris,

Recently we found that there is a lot room for improvement in the TsFile(version 000002) [1].

We could design the new TsFile structure (version 000003) together and then consider the go version.

[1] http://iotdb.apache.org/SystemDesign/TsFile/Format.html

Jialin Qiao
School of Software, Tsinghua University

乔嘉林