Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Geoffrey Arnold <ge...@geoffreyarnold.com> on 2009/09/20 08:25:05 UTC

ServiceDiscoveryManager and unicast discovery

Hi All,

When employing the ServiceDiscoveryManager and unicast discovery to
build a LookupCache of ServiceRegistrars, I've noticed that it takes
~30 minutes for registered ServiceDiscoverListeners to receive the
serviceRemoved event when a registrar goes away.  When using multicast
discovery, the event is triggered almost immediately.  Note that when
the ServiceRegistrar goes away on a given host, it is restarted, but
registered with a new ServiceID.

I believe that this discrepancy is due to the nature of unicast v.
multicast discovery, but I'm guessing that there is a configuration
property somewhere that I can use to decrease some Lease duration and
minimize the wait time.

Currently we are using the default configurations for our (transient)
ServiceRegistrars and our ServiceDiscoveryManager.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff.

Re: ServiceDiscoveryManager and unicast discovery

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 21, 2009, at 701PM, Geoffrey Arnold wrote:

> FYI I found the answer to my question in an (oldie but goodie) post
> on JINI-USERS:
>
>    http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0005&L=JINI-USERS&D=0&T=0&P=24090
>
> Also, it looks like GigaSpaces has come up with a more
> straightforward solution:
>
>    http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/XAP7/How+to+Configure+Unicast+Discovery

I recalled writing this utility, and have the modified
LookupLocatorDiscovery.java source if River would like this behavior
as part of the project. Let me know and I'll be glad to attach it to a
Jira issue of one is created.

Dennis

Re: ServiceDiscoveryManager and unicast discovery

Posted by Geoffrey Arnold <ge...@gmail.com>.