Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gerry Duprey <gd...@Schools-OPEN.com> on 2004/01/16 23:43:37 UTC

Fulcrum Build Results -- REVISED missing dependencies

Howdy,

Okay - I am now able to build fulcrum (yeah!)

In terms of manual intervention, here is my revised list of things I had to do
because Maven didn't know how to handle:

* javamail-1.3.jar
     I know you have to manually download this.  Can the version be updated
     to 1.3.1 since that is what the javasoft site is offering?  Also, not
     sure if the notes belong here or not, but Javasoft/Sun distributes this
     named as "mail.jar" and it needs to be renamed to javamail-1.3.1.jar

* jdbc-2.0.jar
     I think this is a "known" need for maven -- just noting for
     completeness

* mckoidb-1.0.2.jar
     Maven could not download this (and didn't have any URL to offer either)
     I downloaded it into my repository in as mckoi/jars/mckoidb-1.0.2.jar

* hibernate-cglib-2.1.1.jar
     As Mike pointed out, this is really the cglib2.jar from hibernate
     and I can imagine either documenting the need to do this manually
     or adding it to the downloadables Maven can do.  I think it would
     be really helpful, at a minimum, to change the name as cglib2.jar
     and put it under cglib/jars in the repositoru as it is a seperate
     project from hibernate.

* jta-hib2.1.jar
     Again, Mike pointed out this is really just the lib/jta.jar file from
     the hibernate install.  JTA seems to have some other issues (maybe like
     javamail), but perhaps a closer to actual name and some docs on the
     manual intervention required would help.

* ehcache-0.7.jar
     The refresh Maven stuff did successfully download this, though it
     was stored in the hibernate/jars directory of the Maven repository
     and since it's not actually a project directly under Hibernate
     (though related), I might suggest it really belongs under ehcache.

But, I'm happy to report, I was able to build it.  Now I can really start
having some fun :-)

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
SchoolsOPEN, LLC

Visit us Online at www.Schools-OPEN.com

Turbine, Fulcrum, Hibernate and Security

Posted by Gerry Duprey <gd...@Schools-OPEN.com>.
Howdy,

Now that we have Fulcrum working, I was hoping to pick your mind about how
this all fits together.  I'm seeing new componentconfiguration.xml files and
on the fulcrum security web pages, scraps of XML I really don't know belongs
where.

Perhaps a really quick overview (few sentences) to give the flavor.  If you
could supply an excerpt from a Turbine.properties files and any samples of the
related XML file(s), I should be able to put it all together in my head.

Thanks!

RE: Fulcrum Build Results -- REVISED missing dependencies

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Terrific!  Let me know what other roadblocks and surprises you run into...

Eric

Posted by Gerry Duprey <gd...@Schools-OPEN.com>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Mike,

Take a looksee at the docs by building Fulcrum from CVS, they have been
advanced quite a bit.  I am going to update the docs online soon, I just
haven't had a chance to do it.

In the latest version (alpha 6) the "Simple" model was renamed "Dynamic".
The reason was the simplest usable model is actually just users belonging in
groups, without any extra trimmings like groups belong to groups, or roles,
or permissions.  I have used this simplest model, called "Basic" in a couple
apps.   I have also used "Dynamic" in a couple situations.

When you read the updated docs, the key thing to understand is that the
model of how entities are wired together is kept seperate from managing
entities.  This allows us to use the same management code for
user,group,role,permission, and, if we need a new type of model, just create
a new type of model...

See my inlined comments below:

> Hi Eric,
>

> I was looking for a security framework around and finally I found the
> security component, part of the fulcrum project.
>
> It seems to be a good choice considering that it is open source, well
> designed (though it is an alpha version) and offers
> persistence through
> hibernate !
>

> I have read the online explanations and the "simple" implementation
> model proposed with hibernate seems to be a good compromise between
> functionality and complexity.
>
> However I'm not sure I have exactly understood the way to use the api.
>

> So as described in the doc we have four entities : users,
> groups, roles
> and permissions.
>

> I wondered if I can do this :
>
> 1. define fine grained permissions and hard code them in my
> applications
> to define what a user can do or see.
Yup!  Define your permissions (either in constants or in a config file or
whatnot) and then make sure you put them in your db..  Then, to check them,
you do this:
AccessControlList acl= UserManager.getACL(user);
if ((DynamicAccessControlList)acl).hasPermission(EDIT_USERS) {

}

> 2. configure as many roles as I want : i.e. create roles and set
> permissions to the roles ( as long as the application relies only on
> permissions, roles can be created and deleted whitout any problem...)
Yup!  This is where the renamed "Dynamic" model is useful.

> 3. set roles to groups
Yup!

> 4. add users to groups
Yup!  Note, Dynamic currently doesn't support Groups as part of Groups..
Instead, you would put users in multiple groups.  I have thought about
creating a model based on NT called "NTStyle" that would have users, roles,
and groups, and groups could be in groups..  Users could be in groups, and
groups would have roles.  But no permissions since that doesn't map
directly.

> So groups are central in this design.
>

> What I want to do is a web interface for managing users, groups and
> roles for web-applications (and I intend to insert the permissions
> directly in the database so they cannot be modified through the web
> interface).
>

> Am I wrong with that ?

Sounds good.   Something I often do is in my unit tests leverage the Memory
provider instead of Hibernate so I don't have to setup/cleanup a database
behind me.   Hollar if you need help.

Eric Pugh

Re: Fulcrum Build Results -- REVISED missing dependencies

Posted by Mike Manner <te...@oreka.com>.

Hi Eric,

[...]

Mike

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.