Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Grégory Joseph <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/23 20:21:30 UTC

Trunk of assembly plugin broken and not in synch with deployed 2.2-beta2-SNAPSHOT ?

Hi,

I painfully discovered recently that the trunk of the assembly plugin
seems to be broken. I'd been using the snapshot (20071017.162810) from
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository happily for a
while, but since I had to do releases, I went the hardcore way and did
an internal deploy against the trunk.

I can't use the 2.2-beta-1 version because I need, amongst other
things, fileSet filtering (more on that later), and the artifact type.

Here's what I found broken with the trunk:
 - I can't build multiple artifacts from the same assembly descriptor
(i.e zip and tgz), only one. This works smoothly with the
aforementioned snapshot.
 - Severe issue: filtering a fileSet empties these files. (0 byte in
the resulting zip or tgz). This also works nicely with the snapshot.
It only works on the trunk if I disable filtering and lineending.
 - Less critical : pom properties are apparently not interpolated in
assembly descriptors.

I attached a small testcase the shows the issue. Unpack it and do:
  mvn clean install
  unzip -l target/assembly-trunkbuggy-1.2.3-SNAPSHOT-test.zip
You should see that both copies of the test.txt file have a length of 337 bytes.

Now move your local repo away for a moment, build the trunk, comment
out the repositories in my test's pom, build it again, and you should
see that the test.txt copies in the zip are empty.

As far as I can tell, there has not been any commit since the
timestamp of the snapshot that could have an obvious impact on these
problems.

I also tried doing deploy:deploy-file with the snapshot itself, to
deploy it internally, but somehow that triggered a whole different set
of problems. (ClassNotFoundExceptions etc)

I'll happily report this on Jira, but I thought I'd poke here first,
since it doesn't seem clear how the regression could have happened. At
some point I vaguely suspected the snapshot could have been built
against uncommitted code ... ?

Can someone shed some light on this? Also, since it doesn't seem that
the plugin is ready for a beta-2 release just yet (or is it? can
anyone do it ?), could anyone assist in changing the current snapshot
dependencies it has, so I could do an internal release of it, in order
to proceed with our own releases ?

Thanks a bunch !

-greg

Re: Trunk of assembly plugin broken and not in synch with deployed 2.2-beta2-SNAPSHOT ?

Posted by Grégory Joseph <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yep, see jira indeed, where I uploaded a patch that somewhat
suspiciously fixes my issues.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-250

Cheers

greg

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
> [...]

>>> problems.
>>>
>>> I also tried doing deploy:deploy-file with the snapshot itself, to
>>> deploy it internally, but somehow that triggered a whole
>>> different set
>>> of problems. (ClassNotFoundExceptions etc)
>>>
>>> I'll happily report this on Jira, but I thought I'd poke here first,
>>> since it doesn't seem clear how the regression could have
>>> happened. At
>>> some point I vaguely suspected the snapshot could have been built
>>> against uncommitted code ... ?
>>>
>>> Can someone shed some light on this? Also, since it doesn't seem
>>> that
>>> the plugin is ready for a beta-2 release just yet (or is it? can
>>> anyone do it ?), could anyone assist in changing the current
>>> snapshot
>>> dependencies it has, so I could do an internal release of it, in

---

Posted by Grégory Joseph <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 23/11/2007, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Please report this in JIRA, as attachment to mailing lists have a nasty
> habit of being forgotten.

Done,

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Grégory Joseph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I painfully discovered recently that the trunk of the assembly plugin
> seems to be broken. I'd been using the snapshot (20071017.162810) from
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository happily for a
> while, but since I had to do releases, I went the hardcore way and did
> an internal deploy against the trunk.
>
> I can't use the 2.2-beta-1 version because I need, amongst other
> things, fileSet filtering (more on that later), and the artifact type.
>
> Here's what I found broken with the trunk:
>  - I can't build multiple artifacts from the same assembly descriptor
> (i.e zip and tgz), only one. This works smoothly with the
> aforementioned snapshot.
>  - Severe issue: filtering a fileSet empties these files. (0 byte in
> the resulting zip or tgz). This also works nicely with the snapshot.
> It only works on the trunk if I disable filtering and lineending.
>  - Less critical : pom properties are apparently not interpolated in
> assembly descriptors.
>
> I attached a small testcase the shows the issue. Unpack it and do:
>   mvn clean install
>   unzip -l target/assembly-trunkbuggy-1.2.3-SNAPSHOT-test.zip
> You should see that both copies of the test.txt file have a length of 337 bytes.
>
> Now move your local repo away for a moment, build the trunk, comment
> out the repositories in my test's pom, build it again, and you should
> see that the test.txt copies in the zip are empty.
>
> As far as I can tell, there has not been any commit since the
> timestamp of the snapshot that could have an obvious impact on these
> problems.
>
> I also tried doing deploy:deploy-file with the snapshot itself, to
> deploy it internally, but somehow that triggered a whole different set
> of problems. (ClassNotFoundExceptions etc)
>
> I'll happily report this on Jira, but I thought I'd poke here first,
> since it doesn't seem clear how the regression could have happened. At
> some point I vaguely suspected the snapshot could have been built
> against uncommitted code ... ?
>
> Can someone shed some light on this? Also, since it doesn't seem that
> the plugin is ready for a beta-2 release just yet (or is it? can
> anyone do it ?), could anyone assist in changing the current snapshot
> dependencies it has, so I could do an internal release of it, in order
> to proceed with our own releases ?
>
> Thanks a bunch !
>
> -greg

Dennis Lundberg