Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu> on 2013/09/24 14:44:33 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache MRQL 0.9.0 incubating

Hello,
This is a call for a vote on Apache MRQL 0.9.0 incubating. MRQL is a
query processing and optimization system for large-scale, distributed
data analysis, built on top of Apache Hadoop, Hama, and Spark.
This is our first release. A vote was held on the MRQL developer
mailing list and it passed with three +1 votes (plus one late vote),
and zero -1 or 0 votes (see the vote thread [1] and result thread [2]),
and now requires a vote on general@incubator.apache.org. The vote will
be open for 72 hours (it will close on Friday 27/Sep/2013 at 1pm GMT)
and passes if a majority of at least three +1 IPMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache MRQL 0.9.0-incubating

A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemrql-055/
You are voting only for the source distribution.
The source tar ball is available at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemrql-055/org/apache/mrql/mrql-src-dist/0.9.0-incubating/
The release candidate consists of the following source distribution
archives:
- mrql-src-dist-0.9.0-incubating.[zip|tar.gz]
   SHA1 of TGZ: 4b5c6c2df32881b77633303435cb0c99856105cd
   SHA1 of ZIP: edae1009a5ef7a7613f4da4d2d46e1c9339cb70f
You can compile the sources using 'mvn package'.

In addition, the following supplementary binary distributions are
provided for user convenience at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemrql-055/org/apache/mrql/mrql-bin-dist/0.9.0-incubating/
The binary distribution archives are:
- mrql-bin-dist-0.9.0-incubating.[zip|tar.gz]
   SHA1 of TGZ: 27a1c569a0da333a22da260b07356673b81f539c
   SHA1 of ZIP: 6afdeb2640e6b3a31a97e44a0b5e585e6ade62ac

The release candidate has been signed through the key 798764F1 in:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/mrql/KEYS
http://keyserver.kjsl.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7737C07798764F1

The release candidate is based on the sources tagged with
MRQL-0.9.0-incubating-RC1:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-mrql.git;a=tag;h=a7f69742a21393f98d951a8bc5822ae218ffda60

RAT output:
http://people.apache.org/~fegaras/dist/MRQL-0.9.0-incubating-RC1/rat.txt
Suitable name search:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-32

Note: The NOTICE includes the 3rd party copyright notices for JLine
and CUP because the JLine and the CUP runtime libraries are bundled in
the jar files in the MRQL binary distribution (files lib/*.jar).
This was required because the MRQL jar files must contain all the
dependencies in order to run on Hadoop and Hama.

To learn more about Apache MRQL, please visit:
http://wiki.apache.org/mrql/
Thanks,
Leonidas Fegaras

[1] http://markmail.org/message/nhyjdxlmas5vlg5x
[2] http://markmail.org/message/5zsmncpimbdgfyn7

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache MRQL 0.9.0 incubating

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26 September 2013 18:44, Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
> Thank you for checking our release.
> I think you clicked on the wrong tree link at our GIT repo.
> The source tree is:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-mrql.git;a=tree;h=385ba2829bdf184886ac82b5db793f1264bbcf3c;hb=385ba2829bdf184886ac82b5db793f1264bbcf3c
> which corresponds exactly to the tag MRQL-0.9.0-incubating-RC1 as it is
> shown on our call for votes.

The URL I clicked on was as follows which was in the first message of
this vote e-mail thread:

<quote>
The release candidate is based on the sources tagged with
MRQL-0.9.0-incubating-RC1:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-mrql.git;a=tag;h=a7f69742a21393f98d951a8bc5822ae218ffda60
</quote>

I then clicked on "tree" and then "pom.xml / raw"

I agree that the URL you have just provided has a pom that looks OK.
But that URL was not in the original vote e-mail..

> These pom.xml files clearly have 0.9.0-incubating. So the link on our call
> was correct but you clicked on the wrong git tree on the GIT page (you got
> the latest tree).

No, see above - the original e-mail link was wrong.

> Also I am not sure about inserting 3rd party licenses on LICENSE. Spark did
> that but I think it was wrong. From what i've read, LICENSE should have only
> the Apache 2.0 license.

No, the LICENSE file should have ALL the relevant licenses, either
included or linked therefrom.

> Please look at LEGAL-177, where we discussed what to put in the MRQL NOTICE
> file.

I already commented on that very issue.

> Please let us know if you consider the rest of the problems you mentioned
> blocking for this release as is.

Yes, I do consider that the N&L issues are blocking.

The N&L files must relate to the included bits and nothing more.
The NOTICE file must include required notices and nothing more.

Does the MRQL source contain any 3rd party code?
If so, what, and where are the files?

It looks as though some of the MRQL jar files contain JLine and CUP runtime.
That seems wrong; Maven jar dependencies should be resolved using the
dependency mechanism. Also, if the jars can be used together, there
will be multiple copies of the classes, which is not good.

Also, combining the 3rd party libraries with the MRQL code means that
users cannot obtain just the binaries for MRQL itself; they will be
forced to build it themselves.

If there is a need to provide a bundled binary containing 3rd party
jars, that is normally done in the zip/tar.gz archives containing the
various components as individual jars.

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.
Edward,
I don't think this is a blocker.
Some incubator releases have used the Maven staging repo as the only
release candidate artifact.
Example: Apache Onami Parent 3-incubating:
http://markmail.org/message/ka2rpmbcplhxiiu5
If the Maven staging on Nexus cannot be used like this, it should be
made clear in http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

Also, the common MD5 format is either:
hex{32}
or
hex{32}<SP>(<SP>|*)filename
Similarly for SHA1.
Our checksums were generated automatically by mvn release:prepare.
Filenames are actually the same as the cheksum filenames with a
.md5/.sha1 extension.
Also these checsums are included in my call for vote.
Anyway, I will generate checksums WITH filenames in the release, when it
gets approved.
Let me know if you still consider it a blocker.
Leonidas Fegaras

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
-1.

> [...]

> http://keyserver.kjsl.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7737C07798764F1
>
> The release candidate is based on the sources tagged with
> MRQL-0.9.0-incubating-RC1:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-mrql.git;a=tag;h=a7f69742a21393f98d951a8bc5822ae218ffda60
>
> RAT output:
> http://people.apache.org/~fegaras/dist/MRQL-0.9.0-incubating-RC1/rat.txt
> Suitable name search:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-32
>
> Note: The NOTICE includes the 3rd party copyright notices for JLine
> and CUP because the JLine and the CUP runtime libraries are bundled in
> the jar files in the MRQL binary distribution (files lib/*.jar).
> This was required because the MRQL jar files must contain all the
> dependencies in order to run on Hadoop and Hama.
>
> To learn more about Apache MRQL, please visit:

Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache MRQL 0.9.0 incubating

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.
This is a reminder that this vote is scheduled to close in about 24
hours out of 72 hours and we still have no binding votes from the
Incubator PMC.
This is our first release and we have spent a lot of time to migrate
our old source code to the Apache infrastructure and to adapt the
Apache policies in all parts of the project.
Please vote on releasing Apache MRQL 0.9.0 incubating.
Thank you
Leonidas Fegaras

[CANCELED] [VOTE] Release of Apache MRQL 0.9.0 incubating

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.
Hi all,
This vote is canceled due to the problems found in this release (the
most important of which is that the content of LICENSE & NOTICE files
of the provided artifacts was found to be wrong).
We will fix all these issues and we will generate a new release
candidate.
My thanks to all who looked at our release artifacts carefully and for
letting us know the problems.
Leonidas Fegaras