Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sahil Agarwal <sa...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/14 09:45:41 UTC

Can SOLR-5730 patch be backported to Solr 5.5.3

Can the patch for jira issue SOLR-5730 be backported to solr 5.5.3?? ie.
Can Lucene's SortingMergePolicy and EarlyTerminatingSortingCollector
configurable in Solr 5.5.3 too??

The SortingMergePolicy and EarlyTerminatingSortCollector are both available
in the lucene misc package.

Thank you,
Sahil

Re: Can SOLR-5730 patch be backported to Solr 5.5.3

Posted by Sahil Agarwal <sa...@gmail.com>.
Can the Solr branch_5x (specifically, browsing the repo at the point of
SOLR-5730's last commit) be a good place to check in regards to this task?

The team is upgrading to Solr 5 from Solr 4 for now. Im an intern and had
been asked to implement these features and discovered that they already
existed in SortingMergePolicy and EarlyTerminatingSortCollector. So Im just
concentrating on that since that is the version the company is migrating
its Solr to.

Re: Can SOLR-5730 patch be backported to Solr 5.5.3

Posted by Daniel Collins <da...@gmail.com>.
The other question is what do you hope to gain from SortingMergePolicy and
EarlyTerminatingSortingCollector, and why would you want to do that in Solr
5.5.3 and not upgrade to Solr 6?  What prevents you from upgrading I guess
is my real question?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/14/2017 2:45 AM, Sahil Agarwal wrote:
> Can the patch for jira issue SOLR-5730 be backported to solr 5.5.3?? ie.
> Can Lucene's SortingMergePolicy and EarlyTerminatingSortingCollector
> configurable in Solr 5.5.3 too??

> The SortingMergePolicy and EarlyTerminatingSortCollector are both available
> in the lucene misc package.

That issue *adds* those capabilities to Solr.  It doesn't just expose
configuration for capability that's already present.  Before 6.0, Solr
did not have "SortingMergePolicyFactory" at all.  *Lucene* had the
capability, but Solr didn't.

Because it's no longer the active major release, 5.x is in maintenance
mode.  To ensure stability, new features are never added to code
branches in maintenance mode.  The only thing that project policy allows
is fixes for bugs where the bug is severe or the change is so small that
it can't break anything.  The patch for SOLR-5730 doesn't meet either of
these requirements.

The patch has not been applied to the 5.5 branch, and will not apply
cleanly to that branch.

The patch *has* been applied to branch_5x, which is what *would* produce
5.6, but at this point a 5.6 release is unlikely.  You can always
download the branch_5x source code and build a snapshot version of 5.6.

Thanks,
Shawn