Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de> on 2005/07/07 01:31:12 UTC

Re: [OT] Re: Fired???? was...Re: Struts Books Recommendations [OT]

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 19:48, Rick Reumann wrote:

Hi,

> Daniel Perry wrote the following on 7/6/2005 12:49 PM:
> > Hah, it's the business use of web/email they fire you for. Go read
> > your terms of employment, and the reference to "IT acceptible use
> > policy" that you inadvertantly agreed to.
>
> (the below has nothing to do with Mark)..
>
> For the record, I'm not against an employer firing an employee for
> 'whatever' reason they deem fit. If they don't like the way you wear
> your hair, I think they should have the right to fire you if they
> want. (The public also has a right to know about it based on the use
> of the press etc).

Now though I'm clearly not in the position to get fired anytime soon,
I still think as long as I'm doing my job right and don't blame the
company I work for, what I do in my leisure time is not my
employer's business. Including my haircut, age, religious beliefs
or whatever. What I sell are my skills, work performance and
last but not least a significant part of my lifetime, but neither
my soul nor my private life. In Germany, it's not quite that easy
to get rid of someone who, lets say,  just got older because of
working for you. And I think this is just. Stealing silver spoons,
including deliberately breaking company rules in terms of
e-mail usage and the like is another issue.

> Personally, if I owned a company and someone was using the company
> email domain name to post on sites such as "swingers" or
> "transvestitepride," I think I should have right to terminate his or
> her's employment. What I have a problem with is ...
>
> 1) The inconsistency in what is protected. For example everyone today
> talks about "tolerance." But what does this mean? What it ends up
> meaning is "There are no moral absolutes so the only valid belief
> system protected is one that doesn't espouse moral judgments." But
> what about being tolerant to the idea that someone might feel
> otherwise?  Why is state sanctioned secularism the only valid
> religion (and yes secularism is a belief system - a religion). It's
> sort of funny that those whom often claim to be the most 'tolerant'
> are often the most vicious when it comes to attacking someone that
> disagrees with their view of "tolerance." There are many views I
> could state that would get me labeled as being 'intolerant,' yet,
> somehow it's supposedly not offensive to state "All views on X,Y,orZ
> are equally acceptable." To me, and many others, that later position
> can be considered extremely offensive. Why is only one view (secular
> humanism) considered 'non offensive' but other religious views are
> some how bigoted and intolerant. It's pure hypocrisy.

In Germany, in a major part thanks to the US  (I mean it!), religious
freedom, for instance,  is granted to everyone in our Constitutional
Law (Art. 4 GG). Getting fired just because of one's religious views
is impossible by law. So I, who believes in Jesus Christ as my personal
saviour and follows the Bible as his above-all-worldly-wisdom guide
can happily work together with Hindus and common atheists, in-
cluding my boss. I can even tell them if they're on the road to
eternal doom, the same as they may tell me I'm ridiciously wrong,
and still keep my job. And in fact, the Bible is quite intolerant when
confronted with modern secularism, but what's my choice? As
for general opinions and secular beliefs, we have Art. 5 GG
which grants freedom of speech. So there's no need for
hypocrisy here at all. On the other hand, I definitely never
would use a company e-mail address for anything other
than business communication, and whoever deliberately
chooses to do otherwise may just have to face the fruits
of his dauntness. Or his dumbness, if you will.

> 2) Someone taking the time on the list to 'complain' to someone's
> employer. Sure you have the right to do so, but I think it's lame.

Quality never goes out of style, but good manners may. Possibly
a matter of education and attitude. I won't judge.

-- Christian.

Re: [OT] Re: Fired???? was...Re: Struts Books Recommendations [OT]

Posted by Yan Hu <ya...@yahoo.com>.
Brandon:
Now you perhaps have seen his email. Was he joking? No he was very serious.

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
Yan Hu,

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
Yan Hu is our new troll! I wonder if Yan Hu is some kind of ancient
code for Mark Galbreath :D Mark is that you?

Was [OT] Re: Fired???? ...

Posted by Michael Taylor <mt...@txesystems.com>.
I move that we adjourn this thread.  Nothing to see here.  Please move
along.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Taylor
TXE Systems, Inc.
mtaylor@txesystems.com

Re: [OT] Re: Fired???? was...Re: Struts Books Recommendations [OT]

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
There are people who are taking things way too serious around here.
They fall into two groups. #1 The easily offended #2 The lude and
discourteous. What is funny is often they are one and the same.

My comments have been very light hearted and not intended to offend.
If folks take the lighter comments to heart then they need to relax.
If you have people who are being clearly lude, then we should ignore
them (advice i need to take).

At the same time, what community doesn't have light hearted jest. To
take offense at silly jokes about H1Bs or to go off in a serious rage
on an H1B is silly. Both sides need to take a breath.

People, please, lighten up, lose the profane language and serious
hateful attitudes. We are all here to participate in the Struts
community. That doesn't mean we have to be stuffy. But, it does mean
that we should have an edge of courtesy.

For now I'll refrain from engaging in any off-topic discussions. I
hope that people can take it down a notch and relax, then, maybe, we
can learn struts, have some fun and still be a friendly community.

Brandon

Posted by Nitesh Naveen <ni...@cordiant.net>.
I agree with Craig here...
He is quiet right about the mailing problem...
I had been using my company id and have been told by them to unsubscribe
from the due to the volume of messages coming in.
Despite the volume if the mails had something to defend I could've done it.
But the never ending flow of OTs like these which are of no use to anyone is
not quiet the way anyone would like!

Friday of the week is over... At least from this point on let us cut this
off.

Regards,

Nitesh
_____________________________

Disclaimer:
Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail is confidential,
proprietary, and legally privileged data of Cordiant Technologies that is
intended for use only by the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you are requested to delete this
e-mail immediately and notify the originator. Any views expressed by an
individual do not necessarily reflect the view of Cordiant Technologies. The
recipient should scan this email and any attachments for viruses as Cordiant
Technologies is not liable for the presence of viruses in this email.
Cordiant Technologies does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
as the internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure,
error or virus-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete.

To know more about Cordiant Technologies, please visit
http://www.cordiant.com
_____________________________

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DG...@EvergreenInvestments.com.

Posted by netsql <ne...@roomity.com>.
> Andrew Tomaka wrote the following on 7/8/2005 2:29 PM:
>  in the past few weeks, it's all gone downhill.  A
>> good percentage of threads are now off-topic; not off topic like
>> discussing the pros and cons of using an IDE, but off topic like what
>> an H1B is and personal thoughts on outsourcing.
>

> I'm guilty of this also.. so I apologize for contributing to the
> downhill discussion.

+1.

Let's all cut it out. Don't feed a pest.

.V

Re: [OT] Re: Fired???? was...Re: Struts Books Recommendations [OT]

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Andrew Tomaka wrote the following on 7/8/2005 2:29 PM:

> When I joined the Struts list in May, it was an invaluable resource.
> I was able to quickly learn the framework through the questions others
> were asking.  But in the past few weeks, it's all gone downhill.  A
> good percentage of threads are now off-topic; not off topic like
> discussing the pros and cons of using an IDE, but off topic like what
> an H1B is and personal thoughts on outsourcing.

I'm guilty of this also.. so I apologize for contributing to the
downhill discussion.

Fortunately most users are still pretty helpful and still manage to help
out the people asking questions that get stuck between a million OT
posts:) As annoying/amusing(?:) many of the OT posts are on this list, I
still find more helpful people on this list than many of the lists I've
been on.

--
Rick

Re: [OT] Re: Fired???? was...Re: Struts Books Recommendations...now spellings[OT]

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
...but a real bugger to google for - #? .net?

Too bad M$ couldn't somehow work an & and a ? into the name...

Hmm, C#&ASP.NET?

Looks like a cartoon character swearing...or me trying to write code
with vs.net.

Larry

PS: it is friday, right?

Posted by Michael Taylor <mt...@txesystems.com>.
Too bad it also matches almost every ISP's domain name... :-O

Michael Taylor
TXE Systems, Inc.
mtaylor@txesystems.com

Posted by Brady Hegberg <br...@bitstream.net>.
Google results:

Posted by Andrew Tomaka <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yan Hu <ya...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
ROFL

Posted by Yan Hu <ya...@yahoo.com>.

--- Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> wrote:

> Yan Hu wrote the following on 7/8/2005 1:29 PM:
>
> > I respect good people(regardless of races) not an asshole like you.
>
> My mom can beat up your mom.
>
> --
> Rick
Do you have a Mom?  Come on man.. Be strong. I understand how tought life can be without a Mom?
But try to talk as if you had one...

Re: [OT] Re: Fired???? was...Re: Struts Books Recommendations [OT]

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Personally, I try not to discriminate against idiots.  I like to treat them
all the same.

Posted by Yan Hu <ya...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Mr Yan:

[...]
I will tell you based on your comment that you have clearly stepped over the
line of appropriateness and should not do so again
I would also state your actions reflect that I consider you to be an
extremely poor representative of your country and if you worked for me I
would fire you on the spot..The last time I checked the INS is not in the
business of supporting misbehaving and or inappropriate behaviour of H1Bs
who are here as Guests of our country.
Please refrain from using this list to promote and or make excuses for your
clearly inappropriate behavior.
Martin-

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
Applogies for being english or maybe just naive, but what the hell is a H1B?

Daniel.

Posted by Yan Hu <ya...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Morning Brian:

In a global economy keep in mind that a business can locate anywhere..
Tying up resources in a situation such as what you described could be
interpreted (in a rather loose sense) as 'anti-business'
and *might* force the company to look at other locations which provide more
'business-friendly' environments.
Please feel free to contact me offline as this topic can be easily construed
as 'O/T'.

Best,
M-
Posted by Brian Lee <br...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
A Christian named Christian... that's original :)