Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Damien Mannix <da...@unimelb.edu.au> on 2013/11/05 06:44:24 UTC

NFS vs Swift

HI All,

We are currently running CloudStack 3.07 with NFS Secondary Storage which we have had continuing issues with. Has anyone migrated from NFS to swift? Pros / Cons – any tips would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance

Damien

Damien Mannix
Cloud Systems Administrator
ITS Research Services
317 Doug McDonell Building, University of Melbourne
email: damien.mannix@unimelb.edu.au
NSP Support please email: nsp-help@nectar.org.au
Mobile: +61 (0) 481 005 367

Re: NFS vs Swift

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 5, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Damien Mannix <da...@unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Yes we are using the commercial version, we are also using XenServer 6.1
> for the underlying hypervisor and there seems to be problems with NFS /
> CloudPlatform, not confirmed. Just trying to work out reasonable options
> to make life easier. We have no control over the storage as such as it is
> centrally provisioned by the Universities IT department with very little
> transparency. The actual storage is in a datacentre next door 3 x hops -
> but I'm finding it difficult to troubleshoot as it is all very
> inconsistent.

Technically we don't support non apache releases, but maybe if you post your mgt server logs and your secondary storage VM logs to pastebin.com something easy will jump out for someone on the list.

-sebastien

Re: NFS vs Swift

Posted by Damien Mannix <da...@unimelb.edu.au>.
Hi Sebastian,

Re: NFS vs Swift

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: NFS vs Swift

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 05.11.2013 09:06, Damien Mannix wrote:
> Yes I have heard of glusterfs any tips, tricks - advice?

Well, this is hardly the place, you should get on their ml, this is my
first advice.
Use CentOS/RHEL 6 if you can, use XFS as filesystem with 512b inodes.
If you want speed you need 10G or Infiniband, otherwise you'll have to
put up with sub 50 MB/s speeds on a mere 1Gbps network.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro