Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by AlliumPorrum <pu...@luukku.com> on 2008/02/15 11:28:16 UTC

Getting rid of all warning messages in logs?

Sometimes FOP writes some warnings & infos to my app servers log, and often
they also contain some information about the actual content of the document,
for example:

11.2.2008 14:29:45 org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageBreakingAlgorithm
updateData2
WARNING: Part/page 0 overflows the available area in block-progression
dimension. (fo:static-content, "xxxxxx")

How could I get rid of these?? I mean, I don't want that FOP writes any
logging information that might contain any parts of the actual parsed
document?

Re: Getting rid of all warning messages in logs?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Nono, if you just set the right categories to fatal level (i.e. only
org.apache.fop) only the FOP messages are ignored. You can configure all
other categories like you want.

On 18.02.2008 09:20:12 AlliumPorrum wrote:

> Ok, now I got what you mean. But, if I do such a thing, don't I lose all
> loggings from all other applications (using the same logger) also?? I really
> don't want that, I just need to get rid of those FOP's loggings that contain
> some information of the document's content. Is it possible at all, do you
> know?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Getting rid of all warning messages in logs?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
See here: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/embedding.html#basic-logging

FOP uses Apache Commons Logging which can delegate to java.util.logging,
Log4J and whatever. You need to find out what Commons Logging uses in
your app server as logging backend (Log4J if present, otherwise probably
java.util.logging). Both backends are configured differently. In the end
you simply need to set the logging level for the "org.apache.fop"
category to "fatal" level.

See also: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/HowTo/SetupJDK14Logging

On 17.02.2008 13:26:55 AlliumPorrum wrote:

> Louis.Masters wrote:
> >
> > With that said, I believe you can just turn off warning messages in the
> > logger, but then you might miss something you need.
> >

> Thanks for your answer, Lou! Your're right that I might miss the log
> information if something goes wrong with the FOP, but it is much less
> important issue than the current problem that some confidential user
> information is written to the logs. So, can you please tell me how could I
> turn off all loggings?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Getting rid of all warning messages in logs?

Posted by AlliumPorrum <pu...@luukku.com>.

Louis.Masters wrote:

> With that said, I believe you can just turn off warning messages in the
> logger, but then you might miss something you need.

Thanks for your answer, Lou! Your're right that I might miss the log
information if something goes wrong with the FOP, but it is much less
important issue than the current problem that some confidential user
information is written to the logs. So, can you please tell me how could I
turn off all loggings?

Re: Getting rid of all warning messages in logs?

Posted by Lo...@log-net.com.
Not to give an obnoxious answer, but the easiest way is to fix the
condition that is causing the warning to be generated.  I am in the middle
of on upgrade to 0.9x and I am fixing near hundreds of these types of
messages generated by our reports.  Most of the time it is an easy fix to
a padding property or a mis-set height, but sometimes it requires going
through several layers and figuring out what is adding up to cause the
warning.  I feel these warnings are good indicators of things that may not
be "just right" and should be looked at to make sure they are not causing
any layout problems.

There is a basic wiki on this here:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/Troubleshooting/CommonLogMessages

With that said, I believe you can just turn off warning messages in the
logger, but then you might miss something you need.

-Lou