Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Je...@nlgroup.ca on 2002/10/23 19:12:39 UTC

Confused about nightly builds and 1.1b2 bugs

Sorry for the dumb question and another thread on nightly builds....

Do the nighlty builds reflect the up comming release candidate for 1.1 (or
1.1b3) or
are they a separate branch for a future release.

I am hearing about new  functionality in the nightly builds.
I would consider trying a 'stable nighlty' knowing that 1.1 final would
have that same functionality.

Thanks.

Re: Confused about nightly builds and 1.1b2 bugs

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
We don't have any fancy branching (at this point) like Tomcat etc do
(that I am aware of).  The nightly builds reflect the current status of
what will (eventually) be 1.1 final.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: Confused about nightly builds and 1.1b2 bugs

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 Jeff_Mychasiw@nlgroup.ca wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:12:39 -0500
> From: Jeff_Mychasiw@nlgroup.ca
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Confused about nightly builds and 1.1b2 bugs
>
> Sorry for the dumb question and another thread on nightly builds....
>
> Do the nighlty builds reflect the up comming release candidate for 1.1 (or
> 1.1b3) or
> are they a separate branch for a future release.

The nightly builds are run from the HEAD branch of the sources, which will
ultimately be the source for the real 1.1 release.  When bugs are closed
as FIXED in Bugzilla, you'll often see comments like "fixed in nightly
build 20021024", which would mean that any nightly build from October 24
on would include the fix, as well as the upcoming release.

> I am hearing about new  functionality in the nightly builds.
> I would consider trying a 'stable nighlty' knowing that 1.1 final would
> have that same functionality.

There's not really such a thing as a "stable nightly" -- but nightlies,
any future betas or release candidates, and the final 1.1 release are all
built from the same branch (currently the HEAD).

At some future point, the 1.1 code really will be branched, so that the
HEAD can be used for 1.2/2.0/whatever stuff.  Until then, the nightly
builds reflect the latest and greatest 1.1 code.

> Thanks.

Craig