Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Farnell <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/07 01:53:54 UTC

reverting to a previous version

Hi!

Suppose if I would like to permanently revert to a previous version, and I
ran:

svn update -r<foo>

Then if I want to make this version as the current version for future use
and I ran:

svn commit -m <message>

However this failed as subversion considers that I made no changes.

How can I let subversion know that I would like to copy the specified
version as the newest version?

Thanks!

Mark

Re: reverting to a previous version

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 6, 2007, at 20:53, Mark Farnell wrote:

> Suppose if I would like to permanently revert to a previous
> version, and I ran:
>
> svn update -r<foo>
>
> Then if I want to make this version as the current version for
> future use and I ran:
>
> svn commit -m <message>
>
> However this failed as subversion considers that I made no changes.

Yeah, that's not how it works.

> How can I let subversion know that I would like to copy the
> specified version as the newest version?

You want to read the section in the book entitled Undoing Changes:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/
svn.branchmerge.commonuses.html#svn.branchmerge.commonuses.undo

Re: reverting to a previous version

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On 6/6/07, Mark Farnell <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is exactly what Iwant and of course I *want*  to leave a history of
> this reversal.  However how would you perform this reverse merge? (i.e.
> what commands?)
>
> Thanks!

Suppose you want to revert everything that happened between revision N and
HEAD (including changes made to N) of file foo.

-> svn co <directory containing foo>    (checking out HEAD)
-> svn merge -rHEAD:N-1 foo
    -> hopefully there is no conflict.. if there is, resolve conflict
-> svn ci foo -m "reverting changes from rev N through M for foo"

regards,
-Hari Kodungallur

Re: reverting to a previous version

Posted by Mark Farnell <ma...@gmail.com>.