Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Robert Pluim <rp...@bigfoot.com> on 2003/06/10 12:43:51 UTC

--author ARG option for 'svn log'

So, I was trying to track down the log message for a particular
change, and I knew who the committer was, so rather than doing the
sensible thing of 'svn log |less', I added a --author option to svn
log.  Before I go to the effort of making this fit for display, does
anyone think this is a good/bad/indifferent idea?

Here's the bike-shed: if you've specified --author <foo>, and a log
message has no author, then it's _not_ displayed.

Robert

Re: --author ARG option for 'svn log'

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

> There are so many filters one could do on log data, that building this
> particular one into svn feels somewhat random, IMHO.
>
> Call me -0, I guess.

I had the same thought.  Would rather see someone write a good filter
based on 'svn log --xml' output, as a separate script.

> (Were you aware of tools/client-side/search-svnlog.pl, by the way?)

Oh.  I wasn't. :-)  I wonder if it's the script I was just describing...

Re: --author ARG option for 'svn log'

Posted by Robert Pluim <rp...@bigfoot.com>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:
 > Robert Pluim <rp...@bigfoot.com> writes:
 > > So, I was trying to track down the log message for a particular
 > > change, and I knew who the committer was, so rather than doing the
 > > sensible thing of 'svn log |less', I added a --author option to svn
 > > log.  Before I go to the effort of making this fit for display, does
 > > anyone think this is a good/bad/indifferent idea?
 >
 > There are so many filters one could do on log data, that building this
 > particular one into svn feels somewhat random, IMHO.
 >
 > Call me -0, I guess.

OK.

 > (Were you aware of tools/client-side/search-svnlog.pl, by the way?)

Ah, I wasn't.  Good thing I asked first :-)  I withdraw the
suggestion.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Robert Pluim <rp...@bigfoot.com> writes:
> So, I was trying to track down the log message for a particular
> change, and I knew who the committer was, so rather than doing the
> sensible thing of 'svn log |less', I added a --author option to svn
> log.  Before I go to the effort of making this fit for display, does
> anyone think this is a good/bad/indifferent idea?

There are so many filters one could do on log data, that building this
particular one into svn feels somewhat random, IMHO.

Call me -0, I guess.

(Were you aware of tools/client-side/search-svnlog.pl, by the way?)

-K