Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> on 2008/07/30 12:41:05 UTC

Eventcache and JMS block

I've just applied Lukas' work on the event-cache and the jms blocks. The
main tasks were the migration to Spring providing integration tests.

There isn't much to say about the event-cache migration but that we
decided to remove the dependency on the JMS block. IMO the concept of
events in Cocoon is more general than JMS which Lukas and I consider
being one particular implementation.

The work on the JMS block consisted of two main parts: Cocoon provided
it's own JMS connection implementation. Since we heavily use Spring in
2.2, it doesn't make sense to keep them any longer because the Spring
implemention is more advanced and better maintained than ours. The
second part was adding an embedded ActiveMQ message broker to the JMS
samples instead of using OpenJMS which had to be configured separately
in order to run the samples.

@Lukas:

. I've applied your patches with only some minor modifications. I moved
the hsqldb dependency of jms-impl to jms-sample because I don't see any
reason for having the related code in the impl block.

. Can you please prefix all the Spring beans in the samples with a
unique namespace, e.g org.apache.cocoon.blocks.jms.sample.

. Can you provide changes.xml files for the two blocks. See e.g. the
forms block as example.

. Please fix the wrong comment in
JMSEventMessageListener#eventFromTextMessage()

. When you provide documentation (Daisy) I consider the two blocks as done.

Lukas, thank you very much for your good work. It's good to have you around!