Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Eric Cambray (BlueXML)" <ec...@bluexml.com> on 2008/12/08 17:21:25 UTC

Ant : Very slow on Vista

Hello,
I searched and web and don't find a lot of thing for my problem so I
come to you to know more about this.

I word on a project with different people having different kind of
installation (Linux, Mac Os, Xp, Vista) and we have a very slow ant task
on Vista's computer. A task that take 1 minute on Mac OS, XP or Linux
will take more thank 7 minutes on Vista.

I tested with ant command line or from Eclipse, it's equal. And with -v
option I see that all task are speed but the task end for 2 or 3 seconds
and restart for 1-2 seconds, with task manager I see my CPU work (to
25%) then nothing, 25%, nothing, ...

I tested on Dual Core laptop (4Go RAM) and single core computer (2Go
RAM) under Vista : both are slow.

I see here ( http://marc.info/?l=ant-user&m=122048687204453&w=2 ) that
some people have same problem (but I found only this one, so maybe not
all people under vista?).

Anyone have seen this?

Thanks

Eric Cambray

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Eric Cambray (BlueXML) wrote:
> Hello,
> I tried different things and I have now a acceptable time. I uninstalled
> my anti-virus (McAffee) and now all is ok.
>
> So it's not ant.
> But under windows XP with an antivirus we don't have the problem.

some AV tools with "real time antivirus protection" do a lot of
filtering of all access to zip files, which includes JAR files. Every
time you open a zip file they scan it for viruses. Hence the delay.

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by "Eric Cambray (BlueXML)" <ec...@bluexml.com>.
Yes all come from McAffee with Vista (and ant task using a lot of unzip).

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by Chris Green <ch...@googlemail.com>.

--
Regards
Chris Green

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by "Eric Cambray (BlueXML)" <ec...@bluexml.com>.
Hello,

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by Mark Salter <ma...@talktalk.net>.

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by "Eric Cambray (BlueXML)" <ec...@bluexml.com>.
Hello,
thanks for your answers.

I run Vista on Safe Mode and re-reun my ant task. I have a time of 2 m
51s, much better than my 7 minutes but far from the 1 minute on Mac OS
or Linux (I just run a test on a Mac OS, 4Go RAM, dual core and I have a
1:26 minute).

For Mark > I don't have network task.
But on my test, and based on what I see there is no specific task that
take long time just a "cyclic" run / stop. My task do javac, copy files,
zip and unzip (many times for each) nothing really special..

I can't run new test on the mono core computer  but on a quad core
machine, on vista, I have a time of 3 to 4 minutes.
And I'm running a 1.7.0 version and both computer.

Thanks.
(and sorry for my english!)

RE: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Eric-

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032869/direct/01/

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
hi,

This could be ant version dependent, can you give us the ant version
number on each platform?

If you are using 1.7.0 on the vista machine it's significantly slower
than 1.6.5.

Check the ant dev mailing list archive for messages from Stefan
Bodewig on the subject - sorry to busy right now to give a reference.

Thanks,
Kev

Re: Ant : Very slow on Vista

Posted by Mark Salter <ma...@talktalk.net>.
Eric Cambray (BlueXML) wrote:
> I tested with ant command line or from Eclipse, it's equal. And with -v
> option I see that all task are speed but the task end for 2 or 3 seconds
> and restart for 1-2 seconds, with task manager I see my CPU work (to
> 25%) then nothing, 25%, nothing, ...
>
> I tested on Dual Core laptop (4Go RAM) and single core computer (2Go
> RAM) under Vista : both are slow.
I wonder if you observed a significant difference in the times each of
these machines took to run?

On the basis that your problem does not appear to be dependant upon cpu
(or lack of)...

... and assuming that all other items are comparable (disk
throughput/memory speeds...)...

You don't say, but are your ant activities and the inputs/output all
local to your machine, or does the run involve network activity?
Are you connecting to your network at the same speed and manner as those
how have the faster times.

If no network is involved, then please ignore me.

If however a network is involved, then I would suggest removing ant from
your search and consider vista network tuning :-

	http://preview.tinyurl.com/6882gf

Suggestions in these result include things like (but not limited to):-

Turning of IPv6 (if you are not using it),
Uncheck "Remote Differential Compression",
checking your DNS resolution speeds,
ping times.

I'm sure you can work through some of the results just to see if
changing these sort of things help.

If nothing above helps and you think it is specific to ant, we will need
to know more about your ant tasks and perhaps you can identify a
particularly slow portion of your any project in order to track the
problem down.

--
Mark