Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org> on 2003/10/14 19:46:49 UTC

should I use-store in XSLTPRocessorImpl component options?

The snippet at
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/snippet/snippet-xslt-options.html
talks about "Specifying Different XSLT Processor Options",
but I can't find an explanation of what the parameter
"use-store" should be used for.

The Cocoon API
(http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/components/xslt/XSLTProcessorImpl.html)
says
"The <use-store> configuration forces the transformer to put the Templates generated from the XSLT
stylesheet into the Store. This property is true by default."

What is the Store -- is it basically a cache so that
transforming the same input XML with the same stylesheet
can be done quickly the second time?
In what circumstances should I change this option?

Thanks very much,
Lars

Re: should I use-store in XSLTPRocessorImpl component options?

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 19:46, Lars Huttar wrote:
> The snippet at
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/snippet/snippet-xslt-options.html
> talks about "Specifying Different XSLT Processor Options",
> but I can't find an explanation of what the parameter
> "use-store" should be used for.
>
> The Cocoon API
> (http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/components/xslt/XSLTProcessorImpl.html)
> says
> "The <use-store> configuration forces the transformer to put the Templates generated from the XSLT
> stylesheet into the Store. This property is true by default."
>
> What is the Store -- is it basically a cache so that
> transforming the same input XML with the same stylesheet
> can be done quickly the second time?
> In what circumstances should I change this option?

Normally you should set this option to true. Setting it to true causes
the compiled XSLT to be cached. This will save a large amount of
processing time (typically a multiple of the time it takes to actually
apply the XSL to the XML, depending on lots of factors of course).

Caching of the same input XML should be handled by the normal Cocoon
caching, if your pipeline is cacheable.