Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark J Bradakis <ma...@bradakis.com> on 2019/04/26 14:52:17 UTC

[users@httpd] CGI scripts generating 503 error

So I am really having a difficult time figuring out this problem.  Tried
to do some searching of the archives here, didn't come up with anything.

Recently had a server die, but was in the process of replacing it at my
leisure. Had to do it ASAP instead, didn't have a chance to test everything.

Anyway, the new box is Running Fedora 29.  Here's the output of httpd -V
on the machine:

Server version: Apache/2.4.39 (Fedora)
Server built:   Apr  2 2019 15:45:49
Server's Module Magic Number: 20120211:84
Server loaded:  APR 1.6.5, APR-UTIL 1.6.1
Compiled using: APR 1.6.5, APR-UTIL 1.6.1
Architecture:   64-bit
Server MPM:     event
   threaded:     yes (fixed thread count)
     forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
  -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
  -D APR_HAS_MMAP
  -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
  -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
  -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
  -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
  -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
  -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
  -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=256
  -D HTTPD_ROOT="/etc/httpd"
  -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
  -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="run/httpd.pid"
  -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
  -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
  -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
  -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

The config file has the lines:

LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/local/mailman/teamnet/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/local/mailman/teamnet/cgi-bin/">
           AuthType None
           Require all granted
           Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
</Directory>

If you go to http://autox.team.net most pages work as expected, even the
ones that are years out of date.  I'm such a great procrastinator!  I
was also a pretty good sys admin at the U of U Computer Science
department for about a quarter of a century.  But now I feel like a
total novice.  If you go to http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo you
get the 503 Service Unavailable error.  And I can NOT figure out why.
This issue was hashed out on the Mailman user's list, no resolution, a
dead end. Perhaps someone on this list can get me going down a different
rabbit hole for a few hours.

The wonders of modern technology.

mjb.

Re: [users@httpd] CGI scripts generating 503 error

Posted by Mark J Bradakis <ma...@bradakis.com>.
Finally figured it out.

The problem was the difference in the Apache CGI modules.  If you use
prefork MPM ( Multi Processing Modul ) you need to use mod_cgi.  If you
use worker MPM you need to use mod_cgid.  The reverse combinations do
not work.  One will actually give you an error and not start the daemon,
the other combination, which I had, will start the server and give no
indication whatsoever about any problem, other than the 503 Service
Unavailable code when trying to execute CGI programs.

mjb.