Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by gd...@macromedia.com on 2001/04/02 21:05:00 UTC

RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/utils XMLUtils. java

OK, here's my suggestion.  Take it with appropriate salt.

DOM is pretty much a pain in the ass to work with, and we're Java
developers, with access to JDOM.  JDOM is screaming along in terms of
functionality, and they now deal just fine with JAXP on the bottom end, so
you can use whatever parser you want underneath there.  JDOM is also going
to be rolled into the Java standard fairly soon (JSR-102, I think).

Until we figure out what we're "really" doing about XML parsing and
modeling, I think we'd move much faster with JDOM, and that's where I think
we should be.  Besides, if we're going to end up using some other model like
pull or whatever anyway, why should it matter if we use JDOM or DOM right
now?

Suggestion : put JDOM back for now, and feel free to use the JAXP interface
to pick a parser.

--Glen