Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Michael Tepp <Mi...@tradingscreen.com> on 2007/02/23 03:42:25 UTC

problem with HTTP Proxy

Hello All,

We are experiencing a problem with a client using ProxyClient (version
3.0) to connect to our server. What happens is that they use our Java
application at their site to connect to our server using https through
their proxy. The application uses
org.apache.commons.httpclient.ProxyClient and it works fine for some
time. After a while however, whenever they start the application, they
get "Gateway Timeout" errors from the proxy when they try to connect.
Then they clear their Java Runtime Cache and it works again. I can't see
any relation between our client application and the Java Cache. Does
anyone know what's going on here?

Michael

Re: problem with HTTP Proxy

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Michael,

> We are experiencing a problem with a client using ProxyClient (version
> 3.0) to connect to our server. What happens is that they use our Java
> application at their site to connect to our server using https through
> their proxy. The application uses
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.ProxyClient and it works fine for some
> time. After a while however, whenever they start the application, they
> get "Gateway Timeout" errors from the proxy when they try to connect.
> Then they clear their Java Runtime Cache and it works again. I can't see
> any relation between our client application and the Java Cache. Does
> anyone know what's going on here?

I take it that this is a Java Plug-In/Web Start thing, since that's the
only reference to Java Runtime Cache I've found. Unfortunately I can
not tell you what the problem is. But in the browser environment, the
JVM does strange things that HttpClient is not aware of. For example
it might make use of the browser's proxy settings when opening
connections. While that is primarily for HttpURLConnection, it might
also happen for plain socket connections for example if a SOCKS host
is configured. I have no idea in what ways the proxy options for
opening sockets in Java 5 might interfere with ProxyClient's operation.
But if it should, and if failures are somehow cached, then that would
be an explanation.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/proxie_config.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/ProxySelector.html

Mark Claasen has reported success in solving some proxy configuration
related problems, see discussion thread [1]. Since Java 5, you can
open a plain socket through a proxy [2]. I don't know exactly what they
are doing, but it probably is similar to what ProxyClient does. Maybe
you can replace ProxyClient altogether by using this new functionality?

hope that helps,
  Roland

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpclient-user/200701.mbox/%3c009701c73be0$be001ce0$19c909c0@K9%3e