Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com> on 2006/09/25 15:51:43 UTC

Wiki page for building Geronimo with m2

Hello all,

Am I correct in thinking that since the specs were changed, trunk can no
longer be built with a simple 'bootstrap' and must now actually be built
step by step following the 'bootstrap without a full "bootstrap"'
directions?

If that is true I could try to modify the wiki page to remove the simple
directions and lead everyone to the step-by-step directions right away
(I would need to have someone take a look when I was done though - I
don't trust myself to change anything without review).

There have been at least two people who tried to build trunk in the past
week and had to ask for help because a simple bootstrap didn't work for
them.

Jay

Re: Wiki page for building Geronimo with m2

Posted by Eduardo de Vera <et...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot to everyone for answering so fast. Yesterday I was able to do a
step-by-step build of the geronimo trunk. Thanks again and I will start
testing and working as soon as possible.

--
Eduardo de Vera
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4

blog -> http://blogandshare.blogspot.com

Re: Wiki page for building Geronimo with m2

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Eduardo,

The Wiki is mostly correct.  The build process has been in a bit of
flux and I'm not sure its totally settled but we will need to update it.

Do this:

./bootstrap clean

It will fail when trying to build the specs.  At this point change
your JDK to 1.5.

./bootstrap specs

Change your JDK back to 1.4

./bootstrap modules
./bootstrap openejb2
./bootstrap assemble

I believe that will work.  There may be faster ways.  Let me know if
this helps.

On Sep 26, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Eduardo de Vera wrote:

> I have been trying to build geronimo with the complete bootstrap
> and it has been impossible. The "step by step" way worked but when
> I tryed to do a mvn clean install, it always failed. I am going
> crazy about this issue since I haven't even been able to start
> working on anything. I would appreciate it very much if someone
> could take a look about this issue since its too big for a new
> comer like me.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Eduardo
>
> 2006/9/25, Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>: Jay D. McHugh wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Am I correct in thinking that since the specs were changed, trunk
> can no
> > longer be built with a simple 'bootstrap' and must now actually
> be built
> > step by step following the 'bootstrap without a full "bootstrap"'
> > directions?
>
> I believe that this is correct (or at least that's the procedure I now
> follow building the specs only with jdk 1.5).
>

> > If that is true I could try to modify the wiki page to remove the
> simple
> > directions and lead everyone to the step-by-step directions right
> away
> > (I would need to have someone take a look when I was done though - I
> > don't trust myself to change anything without review).
>
> Go for it!
>
> Joe

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Wiki page for building Geronimo with m2

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Eduardo,

Hang in there ... there's still hope. :-)

First, if you followed the step by step directions for bootstrap and it
was successful then you're ready to go.  The final step (bootstrap
assemble) creates the complete assemblies so there's no need to run "mvn
clean install" or anything else at that point.

Later on, if you've made some changes (or picked them up) that are only
in the Geronimo itself (no co-req changes in openejb or specs) then you
should be able to run "mvn clean install" to pick up the changes.  I'm
not sure why that isn't working for you, but If you provide some more
information on the failure then somebody on the list might be able to
help.

Don't forget that working from trunk is the cutting edge development for
Geronimo so things are always changing (and unfortunately often breaking).

Joe

Posted by Eduardo de Vera <et...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 9/25/06, Jay D. McHugh <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com> wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that since the specs were changed, trunk can no
> longer be built with a simple 'bootstrap' and must now actually be built
> step by step following the 'bootstrap without a full "bootstrap"'
> directions?

Not sure. I'm building Geronimo without the boostrap.

> If that is true I could try to modify the wiki page to remove the simple
> directions and lead everyone to the step-by-step directions right away
> (I would need to have someone take a look when I was done though - I
> don't trust myself to change anything without review).

Go for it. There will be someone who takes care of reviewing your
changes. No need to worry if you make mistakes - we all do them, too.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl