Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2006/05/15 01:27:18 UTC

Re: forcing resolution of dependencies from a plugin

Brian E. Fox wrote:
> Question 1: (I think I tried this a long time ago and it didn't work) If
> I include a war as a dependency, will maven transitively get those
> dependencies, or is it ignored since it's a war?

ignored. There's an open jira for skinny wars that don't bundle their
deps and instead pass them on transitively for the EAR use case.

> Question 2: I was thinking about writing a plugin that would grab the
> war pom and use the pombuilder (or whatever it's called, I used it in
> dependency) to build a project around the pom and get the dependencies.
> I could then add them to my current project directly through the pom.
> The problem is, how would I handle the version resolution correctly, or
> how could I kick maven to do it? (ie if the current project wants
> version 2.0 and the common uses 2.1, I want to make sure maven handles
> this correctly and I don't end up adding both to the list)

If you just re-resolve the war dependency from the project's artifact
list you should get the right thing.

> Question 3: I know the war plugin has since been modified to allow
> merging of wars (this occured after I built my project around the use
> case above), does it handle resolution of the jars directly or is that
> perhaps overlooked and the plugin is just attempting to merge the
> contents?

No idea, but it should be relatively easy to glean from the code.

- Brett