Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Sean Machin <s_...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/30 17:24:25 UTC

SOAP hack vulnerability

Hi SOAPers,

I am looking at a future project where we will collect data from a remote
computer using SOAP.  We are concerned about hacking attacks.
If we do not provide a WDSL of the service, and disable the
servicemanagerclient / web interface as has been
previously discussed here, does that mean hackers would be unable
to determine we have a SOAP service running on a particular port?
What do people use in the real world for security when deploying SOAP?

Thanks if anyone can help,
Sean

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Scanners can pretty easily find an exposed Apache SOAP implementation if you
use the standard /soap path: a
GET /soap/servlet/rpcrouter will tell them "sorry, I don't understand GET"
or whatever the exact message is.  Of source, mapping to a path other than
/soap will prevent this easy detection.  Even if it is detected, of course,
the hacker would need to guess your method names, parameter names and type,
etc.

A few other considerations:

1. If your firewall does not do anything to abate DOS attacks, you are
susceptible to those.
2. If you know who your valid clients are, you can create filters/proxies on
your firewall.
3. If you are exchanging sensitive information, you may want to use SSL to
get encryption, and/or some kind of authentication, either SSL client
certificates or HTTP basic auth.

Scott Nichol

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Yes, that's true, but what if the SOAP client isn't Java?

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by "Steven J. Owens" <pu...@darksleep.com>.
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:21:32PM -0400, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> You're quite right that you can use the certificate generated by SSL for
> authentication. This is called the Simple Public Key Mechanism (SPKM), which
> I mentioned in my original answer.

     Whoops, silly me :-).  Sorry for pointing out the obvious.

> SSL makes no provision to support access control, though. You would
> need to implement an authentication mapping mechanism that could map
> the SPKM certificate to a known role within your access control
> system.

     From the context of the message, though, it sounded like he
wasn't looking at a complex situation where he'd need extensive
authorization.  I had the impression he had some sort of remote server
that he needs to hit with a SOAP request to collect information from,
periodically.

> Also -- you can't assume that the client of a Web service uses a
> browser, so you would need to have the SOAP client (or SOAP client
> runtime) obtain the certificate.

     I thought the JSSE supported using client certificates, though I
haven't dug into this much.

     Thanks for the clarification.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by "Steven J. Owens" <pu...@darksleep.com>.
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:21:32PM -0400, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> You're quite right that you can use the certificate generated by SSL for
> authentication. This is called the Simple Public Key Mechanism (SPKM), which
> I mentioned in my original answer.

     Whoops, silly me :-).  Sorry for pointing out the obvious.

> SSL makes no provision to support access control, though. You would
> need to implement an authentication mapping mechanism that could map
> the SPKM certificate to a known role within your access control
> system.

     From the context of the message, though, it sounded like he

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Steven,

You're quite right that you can use the certificate generated by SSL for
authentication. This is called the Simple Public Key Mechanism (SPKM), which
I mentioned in my original answer. SSL makes no provision to support access
control, though. You would need to implement an authentication mapping
mechanism that could map the SPKM certificate to a known role within your
access control system. Also -- you can't assume that the client of a Web
service uses a browser, so you would need to have the SOAP client (or SOAP
client runtime) obtain the certificate.

Best regards,
Anne

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Steven,

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by "Steven J. Owens" <pu...@darksleep.com>.

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by "Steven J. Owens" <pu...@darksleep.com>.

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by DAniel Allen <da...@nist.gov>.
	SSL with client authentication most certainly qualifies as a
	mechanism for identifying who is using your service. How you
	limit access based on this information is server/service
	specific.

	Dan

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Prasad Badkas <pr...@mahindrabt.com>.
Sean

Did you tried using SSL ?

Prasad

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Re: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Prasad Badkas <pr...@mahindrabt.com>.
Sean

Did you tried using SSL ?

Prasad

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability

Posted by Erich Izdepski <ei...@cysive.com>.
Hiding something does not provide security. Port scanning software can find
your server process. An ambitious scanner would try various requests against
it to try and get a response which would better identify the type of process
running. For apache, if you execute a 'get' request against it, it will
respond, clearly identifying it as a SOAP server. You will need to change
this in the rpc router servlet.

You can apply varying degrees of access control to your web service. HTTP
basic authentication (weak), and client authentication via digital
certificates (that's what I'd do) are readily available (you can encrypt the
data, too). Only accepting connections from specific IP addresses is pretty
good, too. These schemes do not guarantee you are protected against all
types of attacks. A denial of service attack would still work.

In general, you must identify the risk and look at the cost to protect
against various types of attack. At some point, it is not worth the cost.

Erich Izdepski
Senior Software Engineer
Cysive, Inc.

RE: SOAP hack vulnerability