Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2011/10/05 12:57:44 UTC

Short term plans for official releases

Hi to all contributors.

With this email I just want to check if we are interested in issuing one or more official releases soon (this or next month).
If we are, I will be more than happy to support the process as usual.

Here is what we could release:

* the first "stable" release of the 11.04 series (branch): "Apache OFBiz 11.04"; (the code freeze was done in April 2011)
* the first "bug fix" release of the 10.04 series (branch): "Apache OFBiz 10.04.01"; (the last release, 10.04, was released in January 2011)
* the second "bug fix" release of the 09.04 series (branch): "Apache OFBiz 09.04.02"; (the last release, 09.04.01, was released in January 2011)

Then, as Jacques suggested in another thread, we could (possibly as part of the announce we will do for the release and in the project's download page) clearly mention the release that is no longer "supported" by the community (i.e. 4.0).

Of course, we will do one release at a time and we could prepare a tentative schedule (like one release per month); or simply wait for the releases of some branches.

What do you all think?

Regards,

Jacopo

Reference:

http://ofbiz.apache.org/download.html

Re: Short term plans for official releases

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thank you Jacques, please see my note below:

On Oct 5, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Maybe we should make more clear somewhere that releases like 10.04.01 or 09.04.02 are only tagged revisions in respective branches
> (or did I miss some places where this is clearly explained?). In other words only branches are still evolving when releases are
> freezed.

This is explainedin the official download page (where releases are published):

http://ofbiz.apache.org/download.html

but of course we could improve the information there; I was thinking to better separate the latest release 10.04 from the older ones and also, inside a series, decrease the fonts of the older releases.

Kind regards,

Jacopo

Re: Short term plans for official releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Inline...

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> Hi to all contributors.
>
> With this email I just want to check if we are interested in issuing one or more official releases soon (this or next month).
> If we are, I will be more than happy to support the process as usual.
>
> Here is what we could release:
>
> * the first "stable" release of the 11.04 series (branch): "Apache OFBiz 11.04"; (the code freeze was done in April 2011)
> * the first "bug fix" release of the 10.04 series (branch): "Apache OFBiz 10.04.01"; (the last release, 10.04, was released in
> January 2011)
> * the second "bug fix" release of the 09.04 series (branch): "Apache OFBiz 09.04.02"; (the last release, 09.04.01, was released
> in January 2011)

+1

Maybe we should make more clear somewhere that releases like 10.04.01 or 09.04.02 are only tagged revisions in respective branches
(or did I miss some places where this is clearly explained?). In other words only branches are still evolving when releases are
freezed. I'd also love to have some feebacks from users, are they using them? Are they interested by them? etc... Anyway not a lot
of work from us ;o)

> Then, as Jacques suggested in another thread, we could (possibly as part of the announce we will do for the release and in the
> project's download page) clearly mention the release that is no longer "supported" by the community (i.e. 4.0).

Yes, that would be great, I have opened the https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan page yesterday for
modification, and was still wondering if we should not put a word about that there in the "General Release Policies" section

 > Of course, we will do one release at a time and we could prepare a tentative schedule (like one release per month); or simply
> wait for the releases of some branches.
>
> What do you all think?

Thanks for your initiative Jacopo!