Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Andrii Biletskyi <an...@stealth.ly> on 2015/02/16 18:18:08 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-5 - Broker Configuration Management

Hi all,

I've added some details to Proposed Changes paragraph.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-5+-+Broker+Configuration+Management

Please let me know if something else require description / details.

Thanks,
Andrii

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
Andrii,

Thanks for updating the KIP. Few comments -

Would you mind updating the Compatibility, Migration Plan section as well?

We should discuss the new config store options - I'm not so sure that
zookeeper is such a slam dunk choice for storing the configs.

   1. Firstly, we have seen quite a few problems with zkClient which is
   currently the client we use to talk to ZooKeeper. In our observation, the
   extra layer of indirection it provides seemed to be useful when we were
   starting off but the more production experience we got, the more problems
   popped up. These include missed watches
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1155> in some cases, no
   timeouts <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1907>, limited
   APIs etc. This makes it much trickier to depend on ZooKeeper for
   important state information that needs to propagate in the cluster. We may
   have to investigate writing our own utility for interacting
   with ZooKeeper but even then it is not going to get much easier since we
   still have to solve the corner case issues we ran into with zkClient.
   2. Secondly, this adds yet another piece of important state information
   we store in ZooKeeper assuming that zookeeper is the easiest alternative
   for key-value storage. However, we have gotten burnt by this in the past
   and still are. For example, admin commands like preferred replica election
   and partition reassignment spend quite some time updating the progress of
   the admin operation in ZooKeeper and hence slowing down the operation
   since ZooKeeper is not optimized for sudden spikes in write throughput.
   Also, I don't know if the argument that the information is necessarily
   safer in ZooKeeper is quite convincing, especially, with the successful
   move of consumer offsets from ZooKeeper to Kafka. It may not be a bad
   option to consider storing configs in a special durable Kafka topic. I'm
   not necessarily advocating this but would definitely like to discuss it.

Before we move forward on adding more important state information in
ZooKeeper, I think we should make an effort at reducing some technical debt
we have accumulated and clean that up first.

Neha