Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/11/08 13:42:51 UTC

[net] ftp and hidden files in directory listing

Hi!

Here is what I got from an VFS user:
>I have one last quesion that I wanted to ask to one of the Commons Net
>developpers because it does not appears in the FAQ I read. Here it is :
>We are using the library to access a FTP server running under Windows and
>when we list the files in a directory, read only files are not listed !
>In fact, is the list method of the FTPClient was issuing an "ls -a" command
>then the library would receive all the list. Here it seems that it issues
>only an "ls -l" command. Is there a way to say which command should be used
>when using the list method ? or should we build ourselves the command
>string, then send it to
>the server, and parse the results list ?

What options do I have to issue a "LIST -a" instead of "LIST"?
Or are you interesed in an patch which adds a method
"FTPClient.setListHiddenFiles()"?

Thanks!
Mario

Re: [net] ftp and hidden files in directory listing

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Steve Cohen wrote:
>> What options do I have to issue a "LIST -a" instead of "LIST"?
>> Or are you interesed in an patch which adds a method
>> "FTPClient.setListHiddenFiles()"?
>>
> Hmm.  This is a new issue and should probably be logged as such.  I
> wasn't aware that FTP under windows behaved that way.  Under unix,
> files are listed without regard to permission.  And read-only files
> are not the same thing as hidden files (although Windows FTP may be
> treating them as such).  Sounds like a bug in Windows FTP.
No, sorry, was a mistake by the user - he meant "hidden files".
> This issue requires further discussion although we would be interested
> in your patch.
Ok, I'll start by openening a bugzilla ticket and creating a patch for it.

---

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Here is what I got from an VFS user:
>
>> I have one last quesion that I wanted to ask to one of the Commons Net
>> developpers because it does not appears in the FAQ I read. Here it is
>> : We are using the library to access a FTP server running under
>> Windows and
>> when we list the files in a directory, read only files are not listed !
>> In fact, is the list method of the FTPClient was issuing an "ls -a"
>> command
>> then the library would receive all the list. Here it seems that it issues
>> only an "ls -l" command. Is there a way to say which command should be
>> used
>> when using the list method ? or should we build ourselves the command
>> string, then send it to the server, and parse the results list ?
>

> What options do I have to issue a "LIST -a" instead of "LIST"?
> Or are you interesed in an patch which adds a method
> "FTPClient.setListHiddenFiles()"?
>
> Thanks!
> Mario

Hmm.  This is a new issue and should probably be logged as such.  I
wasn't aware that FTP under windows behaved that way.  Under unix, files
are listed without regard to permission.  And read-only files are not
the same thing as hidden files (although Windows FTP may be treating
them as such).  Sounds like a bug in Windows FTP.

Is there a way to retrieve hidden files separately from read-only?