Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by MAGGIE MISNIK <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2019/10/08 22:26:32 UTC

regarding 32 bit conversion to 64 bit for a mac

hello apache open office.

i enjoy using your product.  can you tell me if open office will be converted to 64 bit as now required by apple in the below statement, please?    i just upgraded to catalina today and my spreadsheets will no longer open.

About the transition to 64-bit technology and how it affects 32-bit apps.

Apple began transitioning to 64-bit hardware and software technology for Mac over a decade ago, and all modern Macs now include powerful 64-bit processors that can run advanced 64-bit apps. These apps can access dramatically more memory, enable faster system performance, and take advantage of technologies that define today's Mac experience, such as Metal graphics acceleration<https://support.apple.com/kb/HT205073>.

Apple has been working with developers to transition their apps, and in 2018 Apple informed them that macOS Mojave would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.

please advise.  thank you.

maggie

Re: regarding 32 bit conversion to 64 bit for a mac

Posted by David Robley <ro...@gmail.com>.
If you look at the list of system requirements at
https://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs.html you'll notice
that the Mac version nowadays is 64 bit only.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> - replies to my personal email address
will be ignored.

On 9/10/19 8:56 am, MAGGIE MISNIK wrote:
> hello apache open office.
>
> i enjoy using your product.  can you tell me if open office will be converted to 64 bit as now required by apple in the below statement, please?    i just upgraded to catalina today and my spreadsheets will no longer open.
>

> About the transition to 64-bit technology and how it affects 32-bit apps.
>
> Apple began transitioning to 64-bit hardware and software technology for Mac over a decade ago, and all modern Macs now include powerful 64-bit processors that can run advanced 64-bit apps. These apps can access dramatically more memory, enable faster system performance, and take advantage of technologies that define today's Mac experience, such as Metal graphics acceleration<https://support.apple.com/kb/HT205073>.
>
> Apple has been working with developers to transition their apps, and in 2018 Apple informed them that macOS Mojave would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.
>

> please advise.  thank you.
>
> maggie

Cheers
--
David Robley

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...