Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/20 06:41:02 UTC

[lang] 2.2 RC1 rolled and ready for comments

I've gone ahead and done a first release candidate for 2.2.

http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang/

Anyone have anything before I kick off a vote?

--

Bear in mind that to allow us to keep momentum with 2.3, I've created
a branch for Lang 2.2:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/lang/branches/LANG_2_2_X

Hen

Re: [lang] 2.2 RC1 rolled and ready for comments

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/20/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> - Should we be using viewcvs.cgi still now we are on svn? Or is there a
> viewvc.cgi?

Fixed for next rc.

> - Tasks xdoc needs Stringbuf removing.

Fixed for next rc.

> - The release notes mentions changes from 2.0 to 2.1, which it probably
> shouldn't.

Leaving as is; will remove the 2.x notes in 3.0.

> - jar manifest doesn't include the X-... attributes detailed in the
> release docs for the build JDK.

Fixed for next rc.

> - there is no src-ide.zip in the binary download (io does this...)

Fixed for next rc, creates -javadoc.jar and -sources.jar.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/20/06, Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> > > - the jar is getting a little porky, at nearly 250K.
> >
> > 3.0 and removing deprecations might help a little there.
>
> Should we plan on delivering whatever we delete, like the enum package,
> in a separate jar for backwards binary compatibility?

Nope, life moves on. If we get some world shattering bug, we can
release 2.2.1, or 2.3.1 or something. Just as we would do 1.0.2 today
if there was need for a bugfix and lots of people couldn't move to
2.x.

A separate binary jar is just make-work I think, until we hit a time
when someone needs it. Better spent on dbcp, or cli, or ... :)

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com>.
> > - the jar is getting a little porky, at nearly 250K.
>
> 3.0 and removing deprecations might help a little there.

Should we plan on delivering whatever we delete, like the enum package,
in a separate jar for backwards binary compatibility?

Gary

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com>.
> - The release notes mentions changes from 2.0 to 2.1, which it
probably
> shouldn't.

Personally, I like having the entire release history. When I upgrade
some old component and I am skipping a version, I like to know what I am
getting, not just what is in the latest.

> - the jar is getting a little porky, at nearly 250K.

This is not an issue for me. I certainly would not want >1 jar. Do we
compress the jar in the build? I'd even like to have a single commons
jar!

Gary

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com>.
Our application builds and all tests pass with 2.2-rc1.

So, that's +1.

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com>.
I notice that the code coverage report was generated use Cobertura
version 1.6. How about migrating to the current version 1.8?

Gary