Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2008/02/01 10:50:07 UTC

We need a "recommended Maven settings" page

Hi,

Yesterday a friend reported being unable to build Sling as the 1.2.0
version of the maven-bundle-plugin is not available at
http://maven2.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/maven2/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/

That was after I told my friend "it's very easy, just follow the
'discover Sling in 15 minutes' instructions"...

Seems like the mirroring of Maven repositories is not working as it
should, so maybe we should have a website page about recommended Maven
settings to build Sling?

I know Carsten and Felix know much more than me about Maven, so maybe
you guys could suggest something?

Like "use ant" maybe?

-Bertrand (just kidding on that last one, happy with Maven but it
needs the "right" settings ;-)

Re: We need a "recommended Maven settings" page

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Feb 1, 2008 10:59 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I think it's enough to just make sure that the build works with a
> normal Maven installation with the default settings. If you customize
> Maven yourself, it's IMHO up to you to resolve any issue that
> causes...

Ok, agreed and thanks for the clarification!

So maybe we need a page explaining this, recommending that people use
"mvn help:effective-settings" to check that they have no local
settings.

Note that, on unixish systems, "mvn -s /dev/null" disables any local
settings - dunno if there's a Windows equivalent that works in all
cases?

-Bertrand

Re: We need a "recommended Maven settings" page

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Feb 1, 2008 11:50 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yesterday a friend reported being unable to build Sling as the 1.2.0
> version of the maven-bundle-plugin is not available at
> http://maven2.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/maven2/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/

The Maven mirror guide [1] says:

    Note : The official Maven 2 repository is at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2,
    the following mirrors may not have the same contents and we don't support
    them in any way, although we try to keep info in this page accurate.

> Seems like the mirroring of Maven repositories is not working as it
> should, so maybe we should have a website page about recommended
> Maven settings to build Sling?

I think it's enough to just make sure that the build works with a
normal Maven installation with the default settings. If you customize
Maven yourself, it's IMHO up to you to resolve any issue that
causes...

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting