Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Frankie <ka...@gmx.de> on 2018/11/24 09:59:13 UTC

Feedback as newbie

Did my first tiny contrubution yesterday and would like to share how it felt
for me.

First of all I have to say thanks for the great support and the fast reply
to posts on the TomEE Dev mailing list. I feel very comfortable and welcomed
with that.

There were some little points of struggle that caused unsureness. I would
like to take this as a chance to help to get the docu updated/improved so
that other newcomers can benefit - or to get hints where I should have
looked ... ;-)

[1] current docu pages
How can I tell which docu page is current, e.g. from:
*  http://tomee.apache.org/community/sources.html
<http://tomee.apache.org/community/sources.html>
*  http://tomee.apache.org/dev/source-code.html
<http://tomee.apache.org/dev/source-code.html>

[2] git workflow: howto find the correct branch
http://tomee.apache.org/dev/git.html <http://tomee.apache.org/dev/git.html>
says:
* The 'develop' repository is the equivalent of the SVN trunk directory
   => branch "develop"? In github it is not active and the last commit on
this is dated march 2015 ... ?
* The 'master' repository is the equivalent of the SVN tags directory.
   => branch "master" seems to be the used for the actual developing on
Version 8.0.0?
   => Branches "tomee-7.1.x", "tomee-7.0.x" and "tomee-1.7.x" obvoiusly used
for the matching versions
   => branch "tomee-8.0.0-ML1-rel"?
I read through some PRs to figure out that I had to use the master for 8.0.0

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
if you clone the repo i mentionned you can generate it locally and run it
over a http server for dev purposes locally (and guess what, it is a tomee
;)). You can then check it is the first one the valid one (
https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/blob/master/src/main/jbake/content/community/index.adoc).
And yes we never used develop branch, only master.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by César Hernández Mendoza <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frankie,

Re: Feedback as newbie

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by Frankie <ka...@gmx.de>.

http://tomee.apache.org/dev/source-code.html) is the right place? And what

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Quick recommandation for such a very valuable feedback is to make it a
contribution doing a PR on http://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator
and let tomee community promote it live asap. Also it encourages it to be
part of the community work quickly and avoid it to be lost.

This way you will also help next people who will register on the list later
;).

Website is what you look when you are lost, mails are there to share
ideas/work and get feedbacks. This is what can help to pick the right media
;).

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frankie,

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by César Hernández Mendoza <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frankie,
In case you found it useful, there is a video that Ivan created to show how
to build and test the website locally:
https://youtu.be/P6IM0LDevVU

Re: Feedback as newbie

Re: Feedback as newbie

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback! The most correct out of the pages listed is this
one: http://tomee.apache.org/community/sources.html.

These pages are out of date: http://tomee.apache.org/dev/source-code.html,
and http://tomee.apache.org/dev/git.html. I can't recall if we tried using
the "develop" branch or not, but if we did, it was fairly short lived.

Our current development effort is in "master", this is TomEE 8.0.0. We also
the following branches which are maintained:

* 7.1.x (TomEE 7.1.x, targets EE7, Java SE 8)
* 7.0.x (TomEE 7.0.x, targets EE7, Java SE 7)
* 1.7.x (TomEE 1.7.x, targets EE6, Java SE 6)

The big jump in version number if because the community decided to align
the version number with the EE version number when we went to TomEE 7.

Documentation patches are most welcome to help with this. I notice David
Blevins has started a thread here:
http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Merging-Old-and-New-Websites-td4685488.html
- that initiative to try and structure the website better will likely
really help. It'll be a good place to get involved, and we'd certainly
appreciate feedback as a newcomer to the project.

Jon