Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/16 15:37:11 UTC

xdoclet

John S.,

Were you planning to mavenize the xdoclet stuff in the sandbox?  I
noticed in your comments that building the module requires the xdoclet
source, as well as for the geronimo module to be placed inside the xdoc
install dir.  Did you have any ideas on how to avoid needing to do this?
If you don't have time, I'll be glad to help out on this.  I'm hoping to
integrate this stuff into the Eclipse plugin and WTP.

Sachin.

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
These are good questions.  As soon as I finish dealing with the WTP
design changes I can start looking into some of these issues.

See below re: the eclipse questions...

sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Hi Sachin,
>
> If you could help out that would be great as I probably won't have a
> lot of time over the next few weeks to work on this.
>
> I was initially thinking about automating the download of the xdoclet
> code and invoking the ant build of xdoclet as a first step to get
> things moving...  But I didn't view this as a long term solution.
>
> If you download Xdoclet 1.2.2 source and build the geronimo module,
> you end up with a xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar file in target/lib.
>
> Some issues\questions that need to be investigated:
>
>  * Is the generated xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar compatible with
> previous versions or future versions of XDoclet?
>
> * How do we version it?  The plan was (at least until Geronimo
> stabilises) to have the Geronimo XDoclet module developed (and
> versioned) independent of the XDoclet project.
>
> * Does XDoclet 1.2.2 only look for modules with a 1.2.2 version number
> in their names?
>
> * What happens if Eclipse moves to a newer XDoclet release in the
> future?  Will we be supporting multiple versions of Eclipse in the
> future?
Eclipse/WTP actually doesn't ship the XDoclet runtime, only the
framework to support it.  Thus making our integration into it easier and
much more flexible.

> * Can the eclipse auto update facility install the appropriate
> geronimo Xdoclet module?
Yes, I the eclipse update manager has the ability to install any jars as
long as their is an "update site" on the other end.  For example,
through WTP we'll be able to install not only the geronimo eclipse
plugin, but the Geronimo server itself.

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Sachin Patel wrote:
> No, I'm currently not working on it, and I don't think John S is either
> right now.  This is a good question, but I say go for it.

By the way, is there a wiki page about the plugin in Geronimo's wiki and
JIRA task item?

> Sachin.

Jacek

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Sachin Patel wrote:

> I wasn't aware of the openejb plugin.  Where is it exactly? How much do
> the tags vary from the regular "ejb" xdoc plugin? Are they container
> specific tags?

That's in the devtools sandbox next to xdoclet2 directory. Having took a
cursory look showed me there were only OpenEJB tags, but I may be wrong.

Jacek

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Jacek, don't think my reply from last fri made it to the dev list.
resending.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Sachin Patel wrote:
>> Jacek, Looks like WTP will have xdoc2 support for their 1.0 (got a
>> note saying it's in this weeks I-build) so perhaps we should consider
>> not maintaining two streams and focus only on xdoclet 2 plugin
>> development.
>
> Hey Sachin,
>
> Great! I've had some success in developing XDoclet2 plugin for Geronimo,
> but wonder what exactly we need to have. I'm working on a GBeanPlugin,
> so that one would create a GBean and annotate it with some tags. I don't
> know yet what tags it will end up with, though. Probably, it will map
> what's available in the gbean xml schema.
>
> So far we've got the XDoclet plugin for OpenEJB that I think should
> rather be in OpenEJB repo.

I wasn't aware of the openejb plugin.  Where is it exactly? How much do
the tags vary from the regular "ejb" xdoc plugin? Are they container
specific tags?

No Geronimo XDoclet2 support exists yet. The
> question that bothers me lately is what XDoclet2 should bring to the table?

I'm still trying to get familar with the geronimo deployment plans, but
I would think that not everything would make sense or be applicable to
have tags for.  Most tags generate either xml or additional source.
Could there be any scenarios for codegen?  Also it would only make sense
to provide tags for elements that can be applied to the scope of a given
class, if that makes sense.  And I think the gbeanplugin would be a good
example of that.  Also it would good to focus at first on geronimo
specific non-j2ee tags, and a GBeanPlugin falls into that category as well.

The other thing we should consider for the future is JSR-175 type
annotations, and wether we want to exploit its "reflection" support in
the server during runtime.

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Sachin Patel wrote:
>> Jacek, Looks like WTP will have xdoc2 support for their 1.0 (got a
>> note saying it's in this weeks I-build) so perhaps we should consider
>> not maintaining two streams and focus only on xdoclet 2 plugin
>> development.
>
> Hey Sachin,
>
> Great! I've had some success in developing XDoclet2 plugin for
> Geronimo, but wonder what exactly we need to have. I'm working on a
> GBeanPlugin, so that one would create a GBean and annotate it with
> some tags. I don't know yet what tags it will end up with, though.
> Probably, it will map what's available in the gbean xml schema.
>
> So far we've got the XDoclet plugin for OpenEJB that I think should
> rather be in OpenEJB repo. No Geronimo XDoclet2 support exists yet.
I wasn't aware of the openejb plugin.  Where is it exactly? How much do
the tags vary from the regular "ejb" xdoc plugin?
> The question that bothers me lately is what XDoclet2 should bring to
> the table?
Thats the million dollar question :)  I'm still trying to get familar
with the geronimo deployment plans, but I would think that not
everything would make sense or be applicable to have tags for.  Most
tags generate either xml or additional source.  Could there be any
scenarios for codegen? (besides openejb tags).  Also it would only make
sense to provide tags for elements that can be applied to the scope of a
given class, if that makes sense.  And I think the gbeanplugin would be
a good example of that.  Also it would good to focus at first on
geronimo specific non-j2ee tags, and a GBeanPlugin falls into that
category as well.

The other thing to consider for the future is JSR-175 type annotations,

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Sachin Patel wrote:
> Jacek, Looks like WTP will have xdoc2 support for their 1.0 (got a note
> saying it's in this weeks I-build) so perhaps we should consider not
> maintaining two streams and focus only on xdoclet 2 plugin development.

Hey Sachin,

Great! I've had some success in developing XDoclet2 plugin for Geronimo,
but wonder what exactly we need to have. I'm working on a GBeanPlugin,
so that one would create a GBean and annotate it with some tags. I don't
know yet what tags it will end up with, though. Probably, it will map
what's available in the gbean xml schema.

So far we've got the XDoclet plugin for OpenEJB that I think should
rather be in OpenEJB repo. No Geronimo XDoclet2 support exists yet. The
question that bothers me lately is what XDoclet2 should bring to the table?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

> Sachin.

Jacek

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Jacek, Looks like WTP will have xdoc2 support for their 1.0 (got a note
saying it's in this weeks I-build) so perhaps we should consider not
maintaining two streams and focus only on xdoclet 2 plugin development.

John S.  what do you think? Do you see a reason to maintain both?

Sachin.

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Sachin Patel wrote:
> No, I'm currently not working on it, and I don't think John S is either
> right now.  This is a good question, but I say go for it.

Good.

>  The only technical reason I can think at the top of my head to keep the 1.x based
> version is for eclipse tooling integration, as WTP currently supports
> the 1.x xdoclet runtimes.  I'm not sure wether they have plans to
> support 2.x runtime for WTP 1.0.  I can ask them.  If so, then perhaps
> there is no need to support both versions.

I'll be working on XDoclet2 plugin and won't touch what's already available.

>  Also how much easier is it to develop XDoclet 2 plugins from a build perspective? Do you think some
> of the questions John posted in an earlier thread can be answered easer
> with XDoclet2? (i.e can you build without the source?)

I don't know it yet. I've been reading about the plugin development and
following some conversations and it seemed it would be much easier. Let
me take a look at it a bit and I'll come back with answers later.

> Sachin.

Jacek

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
No, I'm currently not working on it, and I don't think John S is either
right now.  This is a good question, but I say go for it.  The only
technical reason I can think at the top of my head to keep the 1.x based
version is for eclipse tooling integration, as WTP currently supports
the 1.x xdoclet runtimes.  I'm not sure wether they have plans to
support 2.x runtime for WTP 1.0.  I can ask them.  If so, then perhaps
there is no need to support both versions.  Also how much easier is it

Re: xdoclet

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Hi Sachin,
>
> If you could help out that would be great as I probably won't have a lot
> of time over the next few weeks to work on this.

> If you download Xdoclet 1.2.2 source and build the geronimo module, you
> end up with a xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar file in target/lib.

Hi,

I'm writing a doc about developing an XDoclet2 plugin and would be glad
to take Geronimo plugin as a sample. Is anyone working on it? Sachin? I
don't want to step on anybody's toes with migrating the code to XDoclet2
since it's 1.x-based. Do you think it's worth to maintain two versions
of the plugin for XD1 and XD2? Unless I'm mistaken they would be
completely different.

> John

Jacek

Re: xdoclet