Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Witbeck, Shane" <Sh...@bankofamerica.com> on 2003/07/18 15:22:00 UTC

DispatchAction role

Is there any disadvantage of to letting a DispatchAction handle both the
setup and submission of a form something like the following:

DispatchAction contains the following methods:

1. init() - sets up the form with initial values for select lists, etc.
2. submitForm() - handles the validation and data associated with the
completed form setup above and forwards to another DispatchAction's init()
method.

This is a re-post but since no one responded I made my post a little more
concise this time.

Any suggestions or opinions on this is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

Re: DispatchAction role

Posted by Rick Reumann <r...@reumann.net>.
On Fri, Jul 18,'03 (10:49 AM GMT-0400), Rick wrote:

> > 1. init() - sets up the form with initial values for select lists,
> > etc. 2. submitForm() - handles the validation and data associated
> > with the completed form setup above and forwards to another
> > DispatchAction's init() method.
>
> I do exactly that, and think it's fine. I often have a ....
>
> setUp()
> update()
> display()

Although I should comment that I haven't ever had a need to do your #2
above (forwarding to another dispatch action). I generally don't like to
forward my actions to other actions (I'm not in the camp that would say
'never' do it... I just haven't found a need to yet).

--
Rick

Re: DispatchAction role

Posted by Rick Reumann <r...@reumann.net>.
On Fri, Jul 18,'03 (09:22 AM GMT-0400), Witbeck, wrote:

> Is there any disadvantage of to letting a DispatchAction handle both
> the setup and submission of a form something like the following:
>
> DispatchAction contains the following methods:
>
> 1. init() - sets up the form with initial values for select lists,
> etc. 2. submitForm() - handles the validation and data associated with
> the completed form setup above and forwards to another
> DispatchAction's init() method.

I do exactly that, and think it's fine. I often have a ....

setUp()
update()
display()

works for me:)