Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carl Olivier <ca...@zero-one.co.za> on 2004/06/16 12:25:29 UTC

Apache and Tomcat - Apache.exe application error

Greetings.

I am having a problem with Apache 2.0.49 causing an Application Error on
Windows.  I know this is the tomcat list - but the issue ony crops up when
using mod_jk2 with Tomcat - so I am posting here in case anyone has any
ideas?!  I have also posted a bug report on the HTTPD bugzilla.

I am using Apache 2.0.49 with (major non-standard mods):

mod_ssl
mod_jk2

with Tomcat 5.0.x being connected to via mod_jk2.

I am running on Windows XP Professional, as well as Windows 2000 Server,
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2003 Server.  In all cases I have
installed the Apache2 service using the Apache.exe -k install mechanism.

When restarting the service using:
- net stop Apache2
- The ApacheMonitor interface
- The services control panel in windows

I invariably get the following dialog popping up:

Apache.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f51baa" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
memory could not be "written".

If you cick OK or Cancel, the popup dialog eternally pops straight back up.

Apache DOES actually stop and start OK - but the popup cannot be minimized,
closed or anything.  It is VERY annoying.

Could this have to do with the Tomcat mod_jk - specifcally the sharded
memory file (SHM) that both Tomcat and Apache use for workers (if I am
understanding that correctly)?

This bug was definitely NOT around when I was using Apache 2.0.46 and
mod_jk2.02/3, but since upgrading to Apache2.0.49 and mod_jk2.04/5dev it has
started.  Funny thing is it does NOT happen on all servers!

Carl