Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2006/07/03 10:01:00 UTC

[1.4] Metadata and versioning

Hi Lenya devs,

at the moment, changing the meta data of a document doesn't
create a new version of the document. IMO this should be changed,
the meta data should be treated as a part of the document.

Additionally, from my POV MetaData.lastModified() could be removed
and Document.getLastModified() should be used instead.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: [1.4] Metadata and versioning

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 7/3/06, Josias Thöny <jo...@wyona.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 10:01 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > at the moment, changing the meta data of a document doesn't
> > create a new version of the document. IMO this should be changed,
> > the meta data should be treated as a part of the document.
>
> In general I agree.
> But would that mean that a new revision is also created when a document
> is e.g. published, because the workflow information is stored in the
> metadata?
> And when you roll back to an old revision, what happens to the workflow
> information in the document?
> Or are you talking only about meta data which can be edited by the user
> in the site area?

Easy stuff.  The META information is stored in the XML for the
Revision.  Which Revision is "live" is stored in the Translation.
Setting the "live" Revision (otherwise known as "publishing" or
"rollback") does not affect the Revision.  (A "lastPublished" flag to
distinguish between temporary Revisions and ones that were published
could be useful, but that is not implemented yet.)

Workflow information should be included in the Revision.  Approvals
only count for the specific Revision, and cannot be applied to other
Revisions.  The plan is to keep Workflow information in another file
"{revision}.workflow", and use it to decide whether a Revision is
allowed to be set "live".

solprovider

Re: [1.4] Metadata and versioning

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Josias Thöny wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 10:01 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> at the moment, changing the meta data of a document doesn't
>> create a new version of the document. IMO this should be changed,
>> the meta data should be treated as a part of the document.
>
> In general I agree.
> But would that mean that a new revision is also created when a document
> is e.g. published, because the workflow information is stored in the
> metadata?
> And when you roll back to an old revision, what happens to the workflow
> information in the document?

Good points.

> Or are you talking only about meta data which can be edited by the user
> in the site area?

Maybe we have to distinguish between versioned and non-versioned meta data?
I think I'm beginning to understand why JCR has such a complex versioning
API (onParentVersion etc.) ...

>> Additionally, from my POV MetaData.lastModified() could be removed
>> and Document.getLastModified() should be used instead.
>
> That's fine with me.

Thanks for your comments!

-- Andreas

Posted by Josias Thöny <jo...@wyona.com>.
On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 10:01 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> at the moment, changing the meta data of a document doesn't
> create a new version of the document. IMO this should be changed,
> the meta data should be treated as a part of the document.

In general I agree.
But would that mean that a new revision is also created when a document
is e.g. published, because the workflow information is stored in the
metadata?
And when you roll back to an old revision, what happens to the workflow
information in the document?
Or are you talking only about meta data which can be edited by the user
in the site area?

> Additionally, from my POV MetaData.lastModified() could be removed
> and Document.getLastModified() should be used instead.

That's fine with me.

- Josias