Posted to dev@distributedlog.apache.org by Jon Derrick <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/13 17:27:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] DP-6 - CAS Style Writes

Hi,

I've been thinking about a DP to provide a CAS style write capability in
DL. If you are interested, please check out:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DL/DP-6+-+CAS+Style+Writes

--
- jderrick

Re: [DISCUSS] DP-6 - CAS Style Writes

Posted by Jon Derrick <jo...@gmail.com>.
Xi, thank you for taking time on reviewing this. Comments line.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:15 AM, Xi Liu <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds interesting. A few comments:
>
> - in the SN struct, do you need to support sequence id? based on the
> design, the sequence id is available at read runtime.

Ah, you are right. The sequence id is reader runtime available. I don't
think we need to support that. DLSN and transaction id are the two common
usages.

> - AsyncLogWriter is a single-writer. Does it really need CAS style writes?
> I don't see when the concurrent writes would happen.

I was thinking providing this in the distributedlog-core first and make it
available in the service. So the functionality is available to both core
library user and thin client user. No strong preference here. Let me know
your suggestion.

Posted by Xi Liu <xi...@gmail.com>.