Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/02/13 15:02:31 UTC

Re: [OT] who reads documentation / Lucene (Was:[PROPOSAL] mulitple actions per class)

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 14:58, Matthew Langham wrote:
>. . .
> We wrote quite a bit of documentation to go with the work we do - all
> nicely done in XML and then generated into HTML or PDF - using Cocoon
> (of course).
>
> BUT NO ONE READS IT! That's the sad truth (and probably the same
> everywhere).
>. . .

I think people are getting used to "googling" through docs: search a
few keywords and get a list of documents.

In that sense, the integration of Lucene in Cocooon 2.0.1 is certainly
a Good Thing - IMHO what you want to give to your users is a searchable
website of your docs, that lives and grows as you expand the system
being built.

- Bertrand

Re: AW: [OT] who reads documentation

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Matthew Langham wrote:

>In that sense, the integration of Lucene in Cocooon 2.0.1 is certainly
>a Good Thing - IMHO what you want to give to your users is a searchable
>website of your docs, that lives and grows as you expand the system
>being built.
><<
>
>Documentation On Demand :-). See:
>http://www.need-a-cake.com/2002/02/13.html#a47
>
>Ok - enough of that. Back to work

We use nearly similar things in our products : when an error occurs for
which there are some known causes, a special exception is thrown that
contains detailed informations on what occured and how to solve the
problem. It is then neatly formatted on the screen in replacement of the
standard exception page. Users like it !

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

AW: [OT] who reads documentation

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.

In that sense, the integration of Lucene in Cocooon 2.0.1 is certainly
a Good Thing - IMHO what you want to give to your users is a searchable
website of your docs, that lives and grows as you expand the system
being built.
<<

Documentation On Demand :-). See:
http://www.need-a-cake.com/2002/02/13.html#a47