Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2013/05/06 19:21:47 UTC

Git merge question

Hi everyone,

I've used SVN for many years, but am a bit new to Git.

I've been making changes locally in my repo for a while and wanted to
update my repo from the "upstream" repo, but do not want to first stage or
commit changes locally.

I get the following error message:

mtutkowski-LT:incubator-cloudstack mtutkowski$ git merge upstream/master
Updating 73d87f1..4c0eecc
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
merge:
client/pom.xml
client/tomcatconf/applicationContext.xml.in
plugins/hypervisors/xen/src/com/cloud/hypervisor/xen/resource/CitrixResourceBase.java
server/src/com/cloud/storage/VolumeManagerImpl.java
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting

If I do a git stash, then git merge upstream/master, then un-stash, should
that work as I might expect (where the un-stash will lead to a merge of
sorts since some stashed files will be different from the newly merged
ones)?

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: Git merge question

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Yes, git is a completely different workflow.  Branch frequently...
commit frequently...

Re: Git merge question

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Re: Git merge question