Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Friedli Beat [UFA AG Her]" <Be...@ufa.ch> on 2001/08/20 13:22:01 UTC

How see the methode-name in the Logefile

Currently my log-file-entries look the following:

220   ERROR [TestRunner-Thread] datamodel.DataModelKunden - Adresse ist
null!

---------------

I'd like not only to see the class-name but also the methode-name. So that I
find out quicker where the problem is. The log-file-entries should look like
this:

220   ERROR [TestRunner-Thread] datamodel.DataModelKunden.getKundenName() -
Adresse ist null!

How can I do that?

Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen

Beat Friedli

RE: How see the methode-name in the Logefile

Posted by Kenji Konaka <kk...@softalia.com>.
hi! - slightly related:

is it possible to identify each of the object instances
involved in the method invocation chain? that is, if
I've had a log code like this:

public class Abc {
    static void x() {
        log();
    }
    static class B {
        void y() {
            x();
        }
    }
    static class A {
        void z() {
            new B().y();
        }
    }
    static public void main(String[] args) {
        new A().z();
    }
    static void log() {
        // do the actual logging - ...but for now:
        new Throwable().printStackTrace();
    }
}

I may obtain something like this with the standard code:

java -classpath . Abc

java.lang.Throwable
        at Abc.log(Abc.java:20)
        at Abc.x(Abc.java:3)
        at Abc$B.y(Abc.java:7)
        at Abc$A.z(Abc.java:12)
        at Abc.main(Abc.java:16)

what I would like to do _now_ is to obtain a (log)
output which may look like this:

java.lang.Throwable
        at Abc.log(Abc.java:20)
        at Abc.x(Abc.java:3)
        at Abc$B.y(Abc.java:7) -- Abc$B@4b222f
        at Abc$A.z(Abc.java:12) -- Abc$A@2f6684
        at Abc.main(Abc.java:16)

(sorry - that this sounds an awful lot like a FAQ...)
regards,
kenji

Posted by Timothy Mulle' <tm...@iname.com>.
Freidii,