Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerome Benezech <jb...@yahoo.com> on 2007/05/06 06:05:51 UTC

Cannot stop/start application using manager

Hi All,

I have an application (cocoon) running under Tomcat
5.5 on the server of my hosting provider.
An exception was thrown during the execution of my
app, so I fixed the problem and tried to re-deploy my
application using Tomcat Manager.
Although the deploy operation seems to succeed, I now
get a 503 error trying to access my app so I tried to
stop/start the application but could not.

When trying to stop the application I get this
Message:
"FAIL - Encountered exception LifecycleException:
Manager has not yet been started"

When trying to start the application, I get:
"FAIL - Application at context path /cybercity could
not be started"

I can't see any error in catalina logs. So am kind of
stuck at that point.
I'd have 2 questions:
- how can I get this message when stopping the app ?
The manager is obviously started as I'm using it to
call the stop of my app. By the way, the list command
returns
/cybercity:stopped:0:cybercity
/manager:running:0:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/webapps/manager
/:running:0:

- how can I restart my application at that point ? I
don't have the control over tomcat so cannot
stop/start the server.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jerome

Jerome Benezech
jbenezech@yahoo.com

Re: Cannot stop/start application using manager

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/07, Jerome Benezech <jb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an application (cocoon) running under Tomcat
> 5.5 on the server of my hosting provider.

Hi Jerome,

Did you also check with the hosting provider?

> I can't see any error in catalina logs. So am kind of
> stuck at that point.

There are 4 different dated log files

1) localhost
2) host-manager
3) manager
4) admin

please check all log files for possible error details (full stack
trace would be useful).

> I'd have 2 questions:
> - how can I get this message when stopping the app ?

I don't know, may be if an attempt was made to start Tomcat when it
was already running.

> The manager is obviously started as I'm using it to
> call the stop of my app. By the way, the list command
> returns
> /cybercity:stopped:0:cybercity
> /manager:running:0:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/webapps/manager
> /:running:0:
>
> - how can I restart my application at that point ? I
> don't have the control over tomcat so cannot
> stop/start the server.

May be the host provider can help.

> Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Jerome

-Regards
Rashmi