Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Brunjes, Lee (lmb7s)" <lm...@virginia.edu> on 2009/10/13 18:47:55 UTC

0.10 on windows

First off, the new installer is very nice and seems to work real nice on server 2008. Thanks.

To preempt some bug reports, if you are running windows and get the following error on tests:

 {"error":"error","reason":"eacces"}

First check your folder permissions. If you can do run as admin and do the test suite with no errors, you should immediately be thinking that you have a permission issue. You may also have better results installing to a directory outside of program files.

I will also be updating the installer page I wrote to point the user to the new, official 0.10, installer.

-Lee

Re: 0.10 on windows

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM, David Leonardi
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> installed to c:\couchdb, granted "full control" to "everyone" and ran it as
> admin.
> still all except the first test are failing with the
>  {"error":"error","reason":"eacces"} error with the sole ecxception of one
> of the tests which actually fails because an assert returns a wrong value.

There's a known issue with some of the tests because of Windows
behaving differently in regards to unlinking files that are still
open. I'm not sure on the specifics, but if it appears to work under
normal operation it shouldn't be a big deal.

HTH,
Paul Davis

Re: 0.10 on windows

Posted by David Leonardi <da...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Brunjes, Lee (lmb7s) <lm...@virginia.edu>wrote:

> First off, the new installer is very nice and seems to work real nice on
> server 2008. Thanks.
>
> To preempt some bug reports, if you are running windows and get the
> following error on tests:
>
>  {"error":"error","reason":"eacces"}
>
> First check your folder permissions. If you can do run as admin and do the
> test suite with no errors, you should immediately be thinking that you have
> a permission issue. You may also have better results installing to a
> directory outside of program files.
>
> I will also be updating the installer page I wrote to point the user to the
> new, official 0.10, installer.
>

> -Lee

David Leonardi
Consultant

P.I./Tax Number IT-02466620214

GSM[DE] +49 152 2149 2153
GSM[FR]: +33 637 098948
GSM[IT]:   +39 347 8913690
E-Mail:      david.leonardi@gmail.com
Skype:      David Leonardi (S3thxx)

Re: 0.10 on windows

Posted by Mark Hammond <sk...@gmail.com>.
On 14/10/2009 3:47 AM, Brunjes, Lee (lmb7s) wrote:

> First off, the new installer is very nice and seems to work real nice on server 2008. Thanks.

My pleasure :)

> To preempt some bug reports, if you are running windows and get the following error on tests:
>
>   {"error":"error","reason":"eacces"}
>
> First check your folder permissions. If you can do run as admin and do the test suite with no errors, you should immediately be thinking that you have a permission issue. You may also have better results installing to a directory outside of program files.

I'd love to hear if anyone manages this, but I'm fairly confident these
ideas will not solve the problem:

* As mentioned in the readme, the installer adjusts permissions on the
directories with the DB.  If you can use Futon to, eg, create an empty
database, permissions are OK.  In other words, "access denied" when
*deleting* the test database certainly isn't a permissions issue, as the
test suite previously managed to *create* it.

* Many of those tests work successfully if you run them manually and
retry a few times.  Often they work on the second attempt, sometimes
even more are needed, and sometimes I just resort to restarting couch
itself - the *first* test you attempt to run after a restart almost
always works OK.

The problem is simply that couchdb itself is trying to delete a file
from the file-system while couchdb itself still has that file open.
This works on most platforms other than Windows.  This same problem will
prevent compaction working (actually, it *does* compact OK, but fails to
swap in the newly compacted database as the old one is still in use by
couch itself)

> I will also be updating the installer page I wrote to point the user to the new, official 0.10, installer.

Excellent, thanks!

Cheers,

Mark