Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/15 02:55:28 UTC

Ant & Java1.3

Hi,
I tried to build the branch on 1.3 last night.

I couldn't even bootstrap.  The problem was that the activation.jar was
built with class file format 48.0 (1.4) - so the 1.3 jdk couldn't
recognize the classes.

As the bootstrap failed there, I don't know how many other of the
dependency jars are also compiled to 1.4 classes.

 From this we have two choices:

1 - Try to find compatible jars or build a much smaller ant missing
features that cannot be built as there are class incompatibilities

2 - Stop support for a 1.3 compatible ant

Kev

Re: Ant & Java1.3

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 14, 2007 7:55 PM, Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 - Try to find compatible jars or build a much smaller ant missing
> features that cannot be built as there are class incompatibilities
>
> 2 - Stop support for a 1.3 compatible ant

Well we could also:

3- Make the life of the release manager even more difficult, and force
to use multiple JDKs (or more JDKs, as we may already require building
on more than one...), by making the bootstrap/build ignore some
sub-systems in older JDKs...

Just kidding ;-) --DD