Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net> on 2008/01/09 23:10:58 UTC

T5: easy url routing

Forgive me if a ticket already exists for this. I know that one of the
Tapestry mantras is that the framework should create the URLs, but it is
often desirable to have control over how they look. Some frameworks,
most notably RoR, make this extremely easy. Is such a feature planned
for T5?

chris

Re: T5: easy url routing

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 9, 2008 5:23 PM, Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Isn't that what the ComponentResources createLink methods are for?

No, that is how you gain access to the logic that knows how to create
a URL for an action or render request.

The details of that are all internal and subject to change.

There's logic inside LinkFactoryImpl and corresponding logic inside
ComponentActionDispatcher and PageRenderDispatcher that relies on the
format created by LinkFactoryImpl.

If you want to create your own URLs, you need to bypass LinkFactory
and create your own Link instances, and add your own Dispatchers to
recognize those links. You may also lose out on some other things that
LinkFactory does, such as adding query parameters to hold client-side
persistent field data.

> Can we override the ComponentResources easily?

You don't. ComponentResources is you code's gateway into the rest of
Tapestry, but what's made available is carefully controlled.

> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > It is not a high priority item, I believe there is an existing issue
> > covering this area.
> >
> > On Jan 9, 2008 2:10 PM, Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> Forgive me if a ticket already exists for this. I know that one of the
> >> Tapestry mantras is that the framework should create the URLs, but it is
> >> often desirable to have control over how they look. Some frameworks,
> >> most notably RoR, make this extremely easy. Is such a feature planned
> >> for T5?
> >>
> >> chris

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5: easy url routing

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.

Re: T5: easy url routing

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
It is not a high priority item, I believe there is an existing issue
covering this area.

On Jan 9, 2008 2:10 PM, Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Forgive me if a ticket already exists for this. I know that one of the
> Tapestry mantras is that the framework should create the URLs, but it is
> often desirable to have control over how they look. Some frameworks,
> most notably RoR, make this extremely easy. Is such a feature planned
> for T5?
>
> chris

Howard M. Lewis Ship