Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2009/02/13 17:58:00 UTC

Using BND as a test harness

Well, as promised, I finally got around to creating an example of using
BND as a testing harness for the Felix framework and for bundles. Some
simple documentation is here:

    http://felix.apache.org/site/bnd-testing-harness.html

This is not a tutorial, just an example of how to use it (or at least my
understanding of how to use it). I will try to answer any questions, but
anything too in depth will likely require Peter Kriens to answer.

-> richard

p.s. I cross posted since some on the users mailing list expressed
interest, but I also wanted to tell other Felix developers about this
too. So, if you do respond, please do not respond with a cross post. Thanks.

Re: Using BND as a test harness

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.
Even better, it also works inside Eclipse ...

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Kirk Knoernschild wrote:
> Hey Richard,
>
> This looks pretty cool. So do you know if BND actually starts the OSGi
> framework and validates the bundles by starting them? Am I
> understanding that correctly?

Each project (i.e., org.apache.felix.framework.test and
org.apache.felix.log) creates a bundle if you type "ant" in the project
directory. If you type "ant test", not only does it create a bundle, but
it also creates a framework instance and installs and starts that
bundle. Further, if you specify any test cases, it instantiates those
classes and invokes their test methods.

-> richard

Posted by Kirk Knoernschild <pr...@kirkk.com>.
Hey Richard,

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.
I do not know why but I was not on subscribed to the user@felix
mailing list. I am now :)

--
Alin Dreghiciu
http://www.ops4j.org - New Energy for OSS Communities - Open

Re: Using BND as a test harness

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Alin,

Perhaps it wasn't clear in my document, but I am not putting any effort
into creating a testing harness, I am just using the capabilities being
built into BND. I started playing with BND as a testing harness for
three reasons:

   1. My long desire to have a testing harness for Felix, but my
      inability to convince anyone in the community to work on one. :-)
   2. We already have BND in our tool chain, so it doesn't add a new
      dependency.
   3. It is the tool used for the OSGi build and ultimately the OSGi
      TCK, so it doesn't hurt for me to use a similar setup.

So, whether I use BND or not won't stop the effort going into BND, but
it nice to know I can bitch at Peter when there is something I don't
like. :-)

-> richard

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.