Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/31 10:36:55 UTC

[docs] draft of "building components" page

I committed a draft in /commons-build/xdocs/building.xml, but did not
link this.  You can see the html here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/buildling.html

I also committed a bunch of sample files referred to in in the text.
Pls (gently) correct any errors or bad recommendations.  Thanks!

Phil

Re: [docs] draft of "building components" page

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 12:26 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> On 7/31/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > hi phil
> >
> > looks good
> >
> > i have a few comments:
> >
> > 1 i wouldn't recommend to anyone that they ever record their passphrase
> > in any file stored on any computer.
>
> Agreed.  Unfortunately, I don't think the artifact plugin supports
> prompting.  Probably better in any case to pass this on the command
> line (though that is still not too good).  Brett?

both are bad since they leave written records of the passphrase lying
around.

> > 2 tyoe (i think)
> >
> > Note that because of the rsynch delay, your changes will not appear
>
> What is the problem here?  Can't see the typo...

i think that it's rsync (not rsynch)

> Thanks!  The xml is in svn commons-build/xdocs, so all pls feel free
> to make improvements directly.

great

- robert

Re: [docs] draft of "building components" page

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 08:56 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> >Agreed.  Unfortunately, I don't think the artifact plugin supports
> >prompting.  Probably better in any case to pass this on the command
> >line (though that is still not too good).  Brett?
> >

> Yes, command line is better, but as Robert says still not great. Working
> on a secured storage and keyboard input for m2, and could bring that
> back to Maven 1.1.
>
> Another alternative is to use scpexe:// instead of scp:// which requires
> you have scp on your path. It's a bit slower due to forking, but allows
> you to use an ssh-agent.
> If anyone is up for commons-sshagent that can talk to openssh and/or
> pageant, please let me know. I have read Jsch doesn't currently have
> anything because Java can't communicate with domain sockets, but that's
> about all the research I've been able to do this far.

did a small amount of digging (probably only enough to know you're
right)...

(sadly) commons-sshagent would probably need a commons-native-pipes
(with url scheme?) first to do the unix domain sockets or named pipes.
think that mod_jk2 does domain sockets so maybe there's something could
be extracted from there but my c is very, very bad...

- robert

Re: [docs] draft of "building components" page

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Phil Steitz wrote:

>Agreed.  Unfortunately, I don't think the artifact plugin supports
>prompting.  Probably better in any case to pass this on the command
>line (though that is still not too good).  Brett?

Yes, command line is better, but as Robert says still not great. Working
on a secured storage and keyboard input for m2, and could bring that
back to Maven 1.1.

Another alternative is to use scpexe:// instead of scp:// which requires
you have scp on your path. It's a bit slower due to forking, but allows
you to use an ssh-agent.
If anyone is up for commons-sshagent that can talk to openssh and/or
pageant, please let me know. I have read Jsch doesn't currently have
anything because Java can't communicate with domain sockets, but that's
about all the research I've been able to do this far.

>>2 tyoe (i think)
>>
>>Note that because of the rsynch delay, your changes will not appear
>>

>What is the problem here?  Can't see the typo...

rsync (and tyoe is a typo too :)

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [docs] draft of "building components" page

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.

On 7/31/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> hi phil
>
> looks good
>
> i have a few comments:
>
> 1 i wouldn't recommend to anyone that they ever record their passphrase
> in any file stored on any computer.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, I don't think the artifact plugin supports
prompting.  Probably better in any case to pass this on the command
line (though that is still not too good).  Brett?

> 2 tyoe (i think)
>
> Note that because of the rsynch delay, your changes will not appear

What is the problem here?  Can't see the typo...

>                          ------
> 3 title "repository structure" wants to be capitalised

Ack

> 4 might want to add a note that the uploading to ibiblio may be slow
> (sees to sync via ajax)

Ack

> 5 title "deploying snapshot jars" wants capitalising

Ack.  Also probably want to use "deploy-snapshot" instead of "deploy"
in the command.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for the feedback / suggestions for improvements.  Hopefully
I have understood and incorporated all of your suggestions.  Pls let
me know if I missed anything or any errors / badness remains.

I just added a link to the nav and published the site.

Any patches / suggestions for improvement to this or any other site
docs are welcome!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31/07/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry...URL below should be
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/building.html
>
> On 7/31/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I committed a draft in /commons-build/xdocs/building.xml, but did not
> > link this.  You can see the html here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/buildling.html
> >
> > I also committed a bunch of sample files referred to in in the text.
> > Pls (gently) correct any errors or bad recommendations.  Thanks!

Looks good.

Using <here> for link names is not ideal.

Rather than:

Follow the instructions <here> to download and install maven

why not put

Follow the <instructions to download and install maven>

instead? And similarly for the other generic link text items.

Makes it easier for screen readers (software and human!) to understand
what the link does without needing to look at the context.

Just my 1d.

S.

Re: [docs] draft of "building components" page

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Sorry...URL below should be