Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it> on 2011/09/07 18:18:46 UTC

determining Tcl patchlevel from the shell

admittedly I'm not a great shell programmer. I'm trying to figure out a
way to determine in a m4 macro which patchlevel of Tcl we are compiling
Rivet with by letting tclsh return in a shell variable the output of
[info patchlevel]. We have other examples of Tcl-m4 cooperation but data
go into files, I would like to get the same information into a shell
variable, is there a way to do it?

  thanks

  -- Massimo

Re: determining Tcl patchlevel from the shell

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
On 09/07/2011 06:29 PM, Ronnie Brunner wrote:

> something like that?
>
>   >  /bin/sh
>   $ FOO=`echo puts [info patchlevel] | tclsh`
>   $ echo $FOO
>   8.5.10
>   $

I tried a similar approach but didn't 'puts' the output, I simply called
info patchlevel and sent it to tclsh through the pipe....a typical tcl
beginner mistake

thanks for pointing this out.

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
On 09/07/2011 06:37 PM, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> Or if you're already using tclconfig/tcl.m4 (part of TEA) and have
> already run TEA_LOAD_TCLCONFIG in your m4 script then you can just
> substitute these two variables:
>
> echo $TCL_VERSION$TCL_PATCH_LEVEL
>
> 8.5.9

Yes, we do, but didn't know about the existence of the TCL_PATCH_LEVEL
symbols. Thank you

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Ronnie Brunner <ronnie.brunner@netcetera.ch

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.