Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kyle Banker <ky...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/23 00:41:19 UTC

Producer errors (failed to send producer request, failed to send requests for topics)

I have a test data set of 1500 messages (~2.5 MB each) that I'm using to
test Kafka throughput. I'm pushing this data using 40 Kafka producers, and
I'm losing about 10% of the message on each trial.

I'm seeing errors of the following form:

Failed to send producer request with correlation id 80 to broker 6 with
data for partitions [kafka_end_test_3r,339]
Produce request with correlation id 88 failed due to
[kafka_end_test_3r,317]: kafka.common.RequestTimedOutException
Failed to send requests for topics kafka_end_test_3r with correlation ids
in [15,77]

My topic has 400 partitions and a replication factor of 3. I have a 9-node
broker cluster.

In the producer, I've set request.required.acks to -1, retry.backoff.ms to
500, message.send.max.retries to 20.

What am I doing wrong? How can I make Kafka to accept 100% of messages? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Producer errors (failed to send producer request, failed to send requests for topics)

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Kyle,

We have developed a new (pure java) producer in trunk. It should have
better error messaging. Could you give it a try and see if it points out
the problem clearer to you?

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Kyle, the new producer will handle this exception with the specific
exception type, and the callback handling function can treat it
accordingly. Could you give the new producer client a try and see if that
is better handled now?

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Producer errors (failed to send producer request, failed to send requests for topics)

Posted by Kyle Banker <ky...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.