Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by new2JM <ku...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/11 18:19:27 UTC

Timer included in Txn response time?

Hi all,
Here is my Test Plan

Test Plan
-Thread Group
--Once Only controller (Login)
---Transaction Controller 1
---Transaction Controller 2
--Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
--Loop Controller
---Transaction Controller 3
---Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
---Transaction Controller 4
---Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
---Transaction Controller 5
---Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
---Transaction Controller 6
---Uniform Random Timer 10-15 secs
--Transaction Conroller 7 (logout)

My question is will the average response time in aggregate report for
transaction "Transaction Contoller 4" include the sleep time introduced
after it? I tired two sampel runs one with timer disabled and one with timer
enabled. I found that the response times varied drastically. Can someone
help me on how i can have the timers but not get included in the response
times?

Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Re: Timer included in Txn response time?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In 11/05/06, new2JM <ku...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks S
>
> I was now successful in using Java Request Sampler - SleepTest. Can you give
> me an idea on what sleepMask parameter is? and also is SleepTime in milli
> Seconds? What shold be the value of SleepMask, sleepTime if I want the time
> to be somewhere between 5-10 milli seconds

SleepTime is in milliseconds
SleepMask is used to add a "random" element to the time:

totalSleepTime = SleepTime + (System.currentTimeMillis() % SleepMask)

5-10 milliseconds is rather short; it's unlikely that the clock
resolution is that good.

but in theory, set:

Time=5
Mask=6 (gives 0-5 as a remainder)

Re: Timer included in Txn response time?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/05/06, new2JM <ku...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Here is my Test Plan
>
> Test Plan
> -Thread Group
> --Once Only controller (Login)
> ---Transaction Controller 1
> ---Transaction Controller 2
> --Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
> --Loop Controller
> ---Transaction Controller 3
> ---Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
> ---Transaction Controller 4
> ---Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs

Is this a child of TC4, or a sibling?

> ---Transaction Controller 5
> ---Uniform Random Timer 5-10 secs
> ---Transaction Controller 6
> ---Uniform Random Timer 10-15 secs
> --Transaction Conroller 7 (logout)

> My question is will the average response time in aggregate report for
> transaction "Transaction Contoller 4" include the sleep time introduced
> after it? I tired two sampel runs one with timer disabled and one with timer
> enabled. I found that the response times varied drastically. Can someone
> help me on how i can have the timers but not get included in the response
> times?

It looks to me as if all the timers are at the same level as the
Transaction Controllers, in which case:
- they will all be added together
- they will apply to all samplers below that level
- they will therefore affect the TC timings

Timers only operate on Samplers.

You could add a dummy Java Request sampler and add the timer as a child of that.

It would then not appear in the TC response time, but the output will
include the Java samples.

Or, if you have a sampler that is not part of a TC, add the timer as a
child of that.

S.