Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by john smith <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/20 15:54:03 UTC

TooManyClauses and maxClauseCount question

Hi
  I'am getting TooManyClauses exception while performing wildcard query.
I'am thinking about changing max clause count limit
(BooleanQuery.setMaxClauseCount() method). My question referes to memory
consumption in case of increasing maxClauseCount parameter.
  Does Lucene do it in a smart way (allocates bigger buffer only when it
is neccesary) or allocates constant (increased) amount of memory for
every wildcard query ?

Regards
JS.

Re: TooManyClauses and maxClauseCount question

Posted by Benjamin Heilbrunn <be...@gmail.com>.
Isn't maxClause count just a "best practice" limit to asure that
performance doesn't decrease silently if big queries occur?
Performance and memory consumption should depend on how many clauses
are really used / number of matching documents
I think that there is no (significant) difference in memory
consumption (or performance) if you run the same query with two
different maxClauseCount settings.

But don't believe me. I'm not familiar with the corresponding code.