Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Zare Ivanovic I <za...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/04 13:51:06 UTC

How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail server

Hi all,

Is it possible to send email to user on (e.g)
yahoo.com using account on JAMES server?
I have tried changing settings in config.xml, when i
send the email i receive no error message but i also
receive no email on my yahoo account.

Thanks

Zare

Re: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail server

Posted by ap...@bago.org.
> I waited for about couple of hours (namely 3 hours) but
> nothing happened.
> How long does it take mail server to send a message (these
> were small one sentence test messages - nothing fancy, no
> attachments and likes)?

Look in the logs if james has made delivery attempts.
apps/james/logs/*.log

Stefano

Re: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail server

Posted by Zare Ivanovic I <za...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I waited for about couple of hours (namely 3 hours)
but nothing happened.
How long does it take mail server to send a message
(these were small one sentence test messages - nothing
fancy, no attachments and likes)?

I use DNS servers available to me and have placed them
under <dnsserver> tag inside config.xml but it changed
nothing. Are there any other specific settings to be
made in order to be able to send emails to (e.g)
yahoo?

Thanks

Zare

Posted by Lee Cole <le...@the-coles.org>.
How long did you wait?

Posted by "Camron G. Levanger" <ca...@dreamlabmedia.com>.
Starting with the basics, in config.xml

DNS servers, you need to put in valid ip addresses for DNS servers.
Double check that they are valid by doing a dig from the server that
james is on to the dns ip's.

RemoteHostNotinAddr,  in this section you either need to have your ip
present, or comment it out and turn on smtp auth.

you also need to tell james what domains are local, and if using smtp
auth you can set it so that it will still allow localhost to send
mail without auth, this is handy if you have programs that need to
send mail from the server.

Good Luck,

Camron G. Levanger
The Dreamlab
http://www.dreamlabmedia.com
866-890-3705

On May 4, 2005, at 5:51 AM, Zare Ivanovic I wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to send email to user on (e.g)
> yahoo.com using account on JAMES server?
> I have tried changing settings in config.xml, when i
> send the email i receive no error message but i also
> receive no email on my yahoo account.
>
> Thanks
>

> Zare

Camron G. Levanger
The Dreamlab
http://www.dreamlabmedia.com
866-890-3705

Re: R: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail server

Posted by Chad Lloyd <ch...@hotmail.com>.
I got mine working.

I will take my config and edit all the commented lines out, then post what I
have. Hopefully you will be able to get some knowledge from that. I will do
that later tonight.

Chad

>From: Zare Ivanovic I <za...@yahoo.com>
>To: James Users List <se...@james.apache.org>,
>d.dallarosa@pollisrl.it
>Subject: Re: R: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail
>server
>Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hi,
>
>I have examined entire log file, but found no error
>messages whatsoever. Couple of warnings but they
>didn't look too serious. Currently I'm not at the
>computer on which I have JAMES installed so I'm unable
>to view the log file , but I remember it was rather
>small (maybe 10 lines tops) and with very few warning
>messages.
>I'll check it out first thing in the morning.
>
>Thanks
>

>Zare
>

>--- Davide Dalla Rosa <d....@pollisrl.it> wrote:
>
> > I think you better turn logging on to the maximum
> > extent allowed,
> > then have a look at the generated log files.
> > This approach helped me a lot to solve various
> > config concerns.
> > cheers
> > davide

MSNŽ Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

Re: R: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail server

Posted by Zare Ivanovic I <za...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

First thank you, thank you and thank you very much for
the actual config.xml file. I am going to try it out
and i will report back.

Thanks again

Zare

--- Chad Lloyd <ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, Camron's advice is basically exactly
> what I did:
>
> SNIP
>
> DNS servers, you need to put in valid ip addresses
> for DNS servers.   Double
> check that they are valid by doing a dig from the
> server that  james is on
> to the dns ip's.
>
> RemoteHostNotinAddr,  in this section you either
> need to have your ip
> present, or comment it out and turn on smtp auth.
>
> you also need to tell james what domains are local,
> and if using smtp  auth
> you can set it so that it will still allow localhost
> to send  mail without
> auth, this is handy if you have programs that need
> to  send mail from the
> server.
>
> SNIP
>
> Here is a shortened copy of my config. I've
> commented out things not
> relevant, and tried to remove specific domain names
> and addresses. This is
> the basic config I'm using, and it works emailing in
> and out to numerous
> types of accounts on hotmail etc etc
>
> The main things, as camron points out, is getting
> your DNS servers right,
> and using smtp auth. Hope this helps.
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE config [
> <!ENTITY listserverConfig SYSTEM
> "../conf/james-listmanager.xml">
> <!ENTITY listserverStores SYSTEM
> "../conf/james-liststores.xml">
> <!ENTITY fetchmailConfig SYSTEM
> "../conf/james-fetchmail.xml">
> ]>
>

> <config>
>    <James>
>
> <postmaster>Postmaster@autonomousis.com</postmaster>
>       <servernames autodetect="true"
> autodetectIP="true">
>          <servername>localhost</servername>
>          <servername>something.com</servername>
>       </servernames>
>       <usernames ignoreCase="true"
> enableAliases="true"
> enableForwarding="true"/>
>       <inboxRepository>
>          <repository
> destinationURL="file://james/mail/inboxes/"
> type="MAIL"/>
>       </inboxRepository>
>    </James>
>
>    <spoolmanager>
>       <threads> 10 </threads>
>       <mailetpackages>

<mailetpackage>org.apache.james.transport.mailets</mailetpackage>
>       </mailetpackages>
>       <matcherpackages>

<matcherpackage>org.apache.james.transport.matchers</matcherpackage>
>       </matcherpackages>
>
>       <processor name="root">
>          <mailet match="RelayLimit=30"
> class="Null"/>
>          <mailet
> match="InSpammerBlacklist=query.bondedsender.org"
>                  class="ToProcessor">
>            <processor> transport </processor>
>          </mailet>
>          <mailet
> match="InSpammerBlacklist=dnsbl.njabl.org"
>                  class="ToProcessor">
>            <processor> spam </processor>
>            <notice>550 Requested action not taken:
> rejected - see
> http://njabl.org/ </notice>
>          </mailet>
>
>          <mailet
> match="InSpammerBlacklist=relays.ordb.org"
>                  class="ToProcessor">
>            <processor> spam </processor>
>            <notice>550 Requested action not taken:
> rejected - see
> http://www.ordb.org/ </notice>
>          </mailet>
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToProcessor">
>             <processor> transport </processor>
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>       <processor name="error">
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
>             <repositoryPath>
> file://var/mail/error/</repositoryPath>
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <processor name="transport">
>          <mailet match="RecipientIsLocal"
> class="LocalDelivery"/>
>          <mailet match="HostIsLocal"
> class="ToProcessor">
>             <processor> local-address-error
> </processor>
>             <notice>550 - Requested action not
> taken: no such user
> here</notice>
>          </mailet>
>          <mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">
>             <outgoing> file://var/mail/outgoing/
> </outgoing>
>             <delayTime>  5 minutes </delayTime>
>             <delayTime> 10 minutes </delayTime>
>             <delayTime> 45 minutes </delayTime>
>             <delayTime>  2 hours </delayTime>
>             <delayTime>  3 hours </delayTime>
>             <delayTime>  6 hours </delayTime>
>             <maxRetries> 25 </maxRetries>
>
>             <!-- The number of threads that should
> be trying to deliver
> outgoing messages -->
>             <deliveryThreads> 1 </deliveryThreads>
>
>             <!-- If false the message will not be
> sent to given server if
> any recipients fail -->
>             <sendpartial>false</sendpartial>
>          </mailet>
>
>       </processor>
>
>       <processor name="spam">
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">

<repositoryPath>file://var/mail/spam/</repositoryPath>
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <processor name="local-address-error">
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
>             <repositoryPath>
> file://var/mail/address-error/</repositoryPath>
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <processor name="relay-denied">
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">

<repositoryPath>file://var/mail/relay-denied/</repositoryPath>
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>    </spoolmanager>
>
>    <!-- DNS Server Block -->
>    <dnsserver>
>       <servers>
>           <server>192.168.2.10</server>
>           <server>xx.xxx.0.33</server>
>       </servers>
>       <autodiscover>false</autodiscover>
>       <authoritative>false</authoritative>
>    </dnsserver>
>
> .
> .
> .
>
>    <pop3server enabled="true">
>       <port>110</port>
>       <handler>
>          <helloName
> autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
>
> <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>
>       </handler>
>    </pop3server>
>
>    <smtpserver enabled="true">
>       <port>25</port>
>       <handler>
>          <helloName
> autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
>
> <connectiontimeout>360000</connectiontimeout>

=== message truncated ===

Re: R: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail server

Posted by Chad Lloyd <ch...@hotmail.com>.
[...]

            <notice>550 - Requested action not taken: no such user
[...]

         <authRequired>true</authRequired>
         <maxmessagesize>0</maxmessagesize>
      </handler>
   </smtpserver>

.
.
.

</config>

>From: Zare Ivanovic I <za...@yahoo.com>
>To: James Users List <se...@james.apache.org>,
>d.dallarosa@pollisrl.it
>Subject: Re: R: How to send email from JAMES to users on another mail
>server
>Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hi,
>
>I have examined entire log file, but found no error
>messages whatsoever. Couple of warnings but they
>didn't look too serious. Currently I'm not at the
>computer on which I have JAMES installed so I'm unable
>to view the log file , but I remember it was rather
>small (maybe 10 lines tops) and with very few warning
>messages.
>I'll check it out first thing in the morning.
>
>Thanks
>

>Zare
>

>--- Davide Dalla Rosa <d....@pollisrl.it> wrote:
>
> > I think you better turn logging on to the maximum
> > extent allowed,
> > then have a look at the generated log files.
> > This approach helped me a lot to solve various
> > config concerns.
> > cheers
> > davide

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented MicrosoftŽ
SmartScreen Technology.

Posted by Zare Ivanovic I <za...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by David Perez <cr...@yahoo.es>.
Hi,

I think it is just a matter of setting the right DNS servers.  I have
sent mail successfully by using James.

Posted by Chad Lloyd <ch...@hotmail.com>.
Zare;